Rentals and Private Events at Alexandria History Museum at The Lyceum
Events in the Lyceum's Lecture Hall
The elegant Lecture Hall, decorated in the Classical Revival style of the 1840s, has a 15' ceiling, tall 9-over-9 windows, period style valences, a Greek motif frieze, and period custom made wall-to-wall Axminster carpeting. Features include:
- theater-style seating for a maximum of 120 guests
- table seating for a maximum of 95 guests
- access to a ceiling mounted projector and a large projection area
- excellent acoustics
- a 22’ x 9’ platform stage
- a concert grand piano
- a lectern with a built-in speaker
- a small adjoining kitchen, with a refrigerator, sinks, oven, microwave, small ice machine, and work space for caterers
Functions can be held at the Alexandria History Museum at The Lyceum during the day, when the museum is open, and after it has closed for the evening. Exhibition galleries and the museum shop can be opened for guests after hours. For more information about private functions at the Alexandria History Museum, call the museum's Facilities Coordinator at 703.746.4994.
Rates and Fees
Rental Rates and Fees
- Wedding ceremony: $750 (three-hour time block; $100 security deposit applied to final fee)
- Wedding reception: $2,300 (six-hour time block; $500 security deposit applied to final fee)
- Wedding ceremony & reception: $2,600 (nine-hour time block; $500 security deposit applied to final fee)
- Parties, dinners, fundraisers, receptions: $350 per hour ($500 security deposit applied to final fee)
- Meetings, seminars, concerts, recitals, & workshops: $100 per hour ($100 security deposit applied to final fee)
- Use of grand piano: $150 flat fee
- Open permanent galleries after 5 p.m.: $50 flat fee
- Open special exhibition gallery after 5 p.m.: $50 flat fee
- Use of ceiling mounted projector and speakers: $50 flat fee
View or print the flyer for up-to-date information on renting The Lyceum.
While you are free to use whomever you’d like, these caterers have all worked in the Alexandria History Museum at The Lyceum and are thus familiar with the building and its capabilities and limitations. It’s always a good idea to meet in the museum with your caterer before your event; caterers who have not worked here previously are required to meet with the museum’s Facilities Coordinator before your event.
You can have a DJ or band, and can hire a dance floor to be brought in, if you want. Candles are permitted, as is red wine.
We strongly encourage you to come by and look our historic facility over. Please call before coming to ensure that the Lecture Hall is available to be seen when you arrive, as we are quite busy, and someone else might be using it at the very time that you come by.
If you have any questions please contact us online or telephone at 703.746.4994.
Thanks for considering The Lyceum, Alexandria's History Museum, for your wedding and wedding reception.