Tour Bus, Motorcoach and School Tour Bus Information
PLEASE NOTE: The two blocks of King Street closest to the waterfront are now permanently pedestrianized! Please ask your group(s) visiting the waterfront to walk down the center of the street on those two blocks due to limited space on the sidewalks. Thank you!
Alexandria welcomes tour bus, motorcoach, and school bus trips. Buses are allowed on most streets in the City except cobblestone streets and streets posted with “no truck traffic” signs.
Loading and Unloading
Tour buses should load and unload at designated locations only. Permits are not required to load or unload.
There are five primary loading and unloading areas in Old Town Alexandria:
- For groups headed to walking tours, Market Square, the Visitors Center or the Waterfront: 300 block of King St
- For access to Christ Church, shopping & dining if traveling southbound on the George Washington Memorial Parkway: 100 block of N Washington St
- For access to King Street, shopping & dining if traveling northbound on the George Washington Memorial Parkway: 100 block of S Washington St
- For Gadsby’s Tavern Museum or Restaurant: 100 block of North Royal St
- For The Lyceum: 200 block of S Washington St
Motorcoach parking in Alexandria is allowed at designated locations only. Some spaces in historic Old Town Alexandria require a permit which must be obtained in advance; paid all-day parking is also available. Idling while parked is not allowed.
Short-Term parking reservations cost $5 per permit.
Short-Term 4 hour parking with a permit is available at the following locations:
- Five spaces near the waterfront in the 500 block of North Union Street
- Three spaces in north Old Town in the 900 block of North St. Asaph Street
Daily parking for a flat-fee of $20 is available at the following location:
- 25 spaces at the George Washington Masonic Memorial (101 Callahan Drive)
All motorcoaches staying overnight are required to park at the George Washington Masonic Memorial (101 Callahan Drive). Overnight parking at the Masonic Memorial requires a $45 permit and must be obtained in advance online using the City's online self-reservation system. There is also a pay station at the parking lot for last minute reservations.
Traffic Rules and Regulations
The City of Alexandria actively enforces idling, double-parking, and loading and unloading in undesignated locations. These violations are subject to fines in varying amounts based on the violation.