On April 12, 2008, the Alexandria City Council passed an ordinance to establish the Alexandria Transportation Commission to advocate and promote development of balanced transportation systems for the City of Alexandria, through oversight of the implementation of the Transportation Chapter of the City's adopted Master Plan. On November 15, 2014, Council passed an amendment to the ordinance to add two additional citizen representatives to the Commission.
Responsibilities of the Transportation Commission
- Maintaining a comprehensive transportation development program that identifies the City's long-range transportation needs,
- Recommending on an annual basis a Transportation Improvement Program for the six fiscal years next ensuing,
- Recommending priorities for project requests that are to be submitted for funding through state, regional and local transportation funding programs,
- Recommending and prioritizing project requests that are to be submitted for funding through federal and state grant programs,
- Receiving reports and findings on transportation project development studies and recommending follow up actions,
- Recommending transportation projects for addition to or deletion from the metropolitan planning organization and regional long-range transportation plans,
- Recommending such amendments as may be necessary or desirable to the transportation chapter of the City's adopted Master Plan,
- Preparing periodic reports on the City's progress in implementing its long-range transportation plan,
- Providing upon request input to and support for the City's representatives to regional transportation boards and authorities, and serving as a public forum for discussion
and consideration of matters such representatives may refer to the commission,
- Considering such other transportation related matters as may be referred to the commission by City Council and other City boards and commissions.
Schedule and Meeting Information
Unless otherwise noted, all meetings will be located at City Hall (301 King Street), Council Work Room (Second Floor). Meetings are held at 7 p.m. the third Wednesday of each month. The Transportation Commission does not meet during the month of August.
Public comment on non-public hearing agenda items are welcomed if submitted in writing. Verbal public comments are welcomed during public hearings, which are noted below for specific agenda items.
January 18, 2023
December 21, 2022
November 16, 2022
October 19, 2022
September 21, 2022
June 15, 2022
- Complete Docket
- Letter from Staff to VDOT Regarding I-495 Southside Express Lane Study as discussed at June Meeting
May 18, 2022
April 20, 2022
April 9, 2022 Transportation Commission Retreat
March 16, 2022
February 16, 2022
January 19, 2022
Email TransportationCommission@alexandriava.gov for additional information on the commission.