Through the City's development review process, staff works to retain and enhance Alexandria’s unique character and livability by ensuring that development proposals are consistent with the Master Plan and Zoning Ordinance, consist of the highest quality building design, urban design and site planning, provide an overall public benefit, and are responsive to community input and engagement.
Page updated on February 8, 2024 at 4:51 PM
WARNING: You have chosen to translate this page using an automated translation system. This translation has not been reviewed by the City of Alexandria and may contain errors.
North Potomac Yard
Learn about the integration of Virginia Tech through the creation of the North Potomac Yard Innovation District.
North Potomac Yard Implementation
Landmark Mall Site Redevelopment
Learn about the redevelopment plans for the 52-acre former Landmark Mall site.
Landmark Mall Site Redevelopment Process
Old Town North Redevelopment
Learn about the redevelopment project for the former power plant site in Old Town North.
Development Applications and Resources
- Applications, forms, fees, filing deadlines and Public Hearing Schedule
- Development Review Process Brochure
- PZ Development Staff Teams Map by Area
- Dockets, Webcasts, Staff Reports
- Glossary of Planning Terms
- Guidelines for Preparation of Mock-Up Panels
(Updated December 2023)
For projects with a Development Site Plan (DSP) or Development Special Use Permit (DSUP), the Department of Planning and Zoning requires applicants to construct a mock-up panel which includes samples of all building façade materials prior to final material selection. This memorandum establishes guidelines for the preparation, construction, review and approval of the mock-up panel and includes examples of mock-up panels approved by staff and design review boards.
- Ownership and Disclosure Statement
- Rezoning Criteria without a Master Plan Study, Adopted by City Council December 2010
- Small Cell Wireless Facilities
- Street Naming and Renaming Policy
- Zoning Ordinance
Contact the Development Division of the Department of Planning and Zoning, 703.746.4666