Online Police Reporting System
If this is an Emergency, please call 911
Please confirm the following to find out if online reporting is right for you:
- This is not an emergency
- This is not a crime in progress
- This incident occurred within the City of Alexandria
- There are no known suspects
- You are 18 years of age or older
- This is not Graffiti
- The type of incident you wish to report is listed below
If you answered Yes to all of the above statements, you are ready to file your report online. Please make sure to turn off your pop-up blocking software before filing the report. If you answered No to any of the statements please look at our Online Police Reporting Frequently Asked Questions section, below. You may also call our non-emergency number, 703-746-4444, and choose to have certain report types taken over the phone by our Telephone Reporting Unit.
Using the Alexandria Police Department Police Online Reporting System you can report the incidents such as:
- Larceny/Theft (including larceny from a vehicle)
- Destruction or Vandalism of Property (except graffiti)
- Tampering with Auto
- Hit and Run
- Identity Theft
- Harassing, Annoying, or Obscene phone calls
- Lost Property
- Supplement to a Report Already Filed
Upon completion of this report process you will:
- See the words: "your online police report has been submitted" showing that your police report is complete.
- Be given a temporary report number.
- You will be notified by email of the permanent report number you may use to make an insurance claim
- If you provided a serial number of an item of stolen property, the item will be entered into the FBI's National Crime Information Center database. You will be notified if the Police Department recovers your property or develops a suspect in your case.
- All cases filed using the Online Police Reporting System will be reviewed.
- When reporting a crime through this system, it does not initiate an investigation by an officer, nor will an officer be assigned automatically to the case.
- Upon review, if further investigation of your case is needed, you may be contacted.
- FILING A FALSE POLICE REPORT IS A CRIME!
Be advised that it is a crime to make a false police report. If you are found to have submitted false information on this form, you will be prosecuted under Section 18.2-461 of the Code of Virginia and may be subjected to up to one year in jail and/or a fine of up to $2,500.
By starting your report you have acknowledged the statement above.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if the incident that I wish to report is not listed?
There are many types of incidents that may not be reported online. Some crimes may require evidence collection, photography or investigative procedures which require an officer to respond to the scene of the crime. If this is an emergency, please call 911. If not please call the non-emergency number 703-746-4444 to see if an officer is required to respond, or if it can be handled by our Telephone Report Unit.
What if this incident occurred in another jurisdiction? May I file a report using this Online Police Reporting System?
No, if your incident took place outside of the City of Alexandria, you must call the police department for that jurisdiction.
What is a known suspect?
A known suspect is when you or someone else knows the person or where to find the person who committed the crime or the license plate number of the vehicle the suspect(s) were in.
How long will it take to process my report?
Normally, within 72 hours
Can I get a copy of the report?
Actual police reports are not released since they may contain information critical to an investigation. An Insurance Verification letter regarding your report may be obtained. For more information please call the City of Alexandria Police Records Office at 703-746-6200.
What if my belongings were stolen from inside a vehicle?
If your are reporting stolen property from inside a vehicle, or actual parts of the vehicle, please call 703-746-4444. An online report is still a quick option for people to use regarding this crime.