How To Run for City Council
Alexandria elects its Mayor and six-member City Council every third year. The next election for Mayor and City Council will be on Tuesday, November 5, 2024. Political parties may nominate their candidates via a caucus or a city-wide primary election.
Page updated on July 11, 2022 at 4:28 PM
WARNING: You have chosen to translate this page using an automated translation system. This translation has not been reviewed by the City of Alexandria and may contain errors.
Alexandria elects its Mayor and six-member City Council every third year. The next election for Mayor and City Council will be on Tuesday, November 5, 2024.
- The political parties may nominate their candidates for Mayor and City Council via a Party Canvass or a city-wide Primary. The Citywide primary would be in June of 2024. The candidate filing deadline for this primary would be in late March.
- Independent candidates may also run. The filing deadline for independent candidates will be in June of 2024. For more information, please contact the Alexandria Voter Registration Office, 703-746-4050.
Qualifications to be a candidate are:
- Qualified to vote for and hold the office for which one offers.
- A resident of the Commonwealth for one year immediately preceding the election.
- A resident, by the time of filing, of the city in which one offers for election.
Candidates may access Candidate Information Bulletins from the State Department of Elections. These bulletins provide information on:
1. Candidate filing forms and deadlines.
2. Campaign finance reporting requirements.
3. Civil penalties which may be assessed for violations of campaign finance reporting requirements.
The bulletins also include frequently asked questions about elections and candidates.
Questions may be directed to the State Department of Elections at 1-800-552-9745 or the Alexandria Voter Registration Office at 703-746-4050.