Youth Development Program
The Youth Development Team provides services that promote healthy youth development and prevent alcohol and drug use, pregnancy, emotional problems, violence and school drop-out. Evidence-based programs and practices include: Too Good for Drugs, LifeSkills Training, Be Proud! Be Responsible!, Girls Circle, Untouchables, Peer Advisors, Young Stars Success, Kids are Terrific Camp, and Decisions 101. The team also provides skill-building groups, school-wide campaigns, parent outreach and education, mediation, after school programs and supportive counseling and includes the program Project Discovery.
2022 Summer Opportunities for Alexandria Children and Youth
Learn about a range of camps and leadership programs for children and youth of all ages
- Alexandria City High School Main Campus and Charles Houston Recreation Center: 571.414.1874
- Hammond Middle School Campus, Alexandria City High School Main and Minnie Howard Campuses and Charles Houston Recreation Center:
- Hammond Middle School Campus and after school programs at George Washington Middle School: 571.213.9489
- Tucker Elementary School and Brent Place Apartments: 703.975.1483
- Ramsay Elementary School: 571.379.2365
- Patrick Henry Elementary School: 571.429.2604
The Youth Development Team Leader can be reached at 703.746.3436.
Based at Alexandria City High School and the Minnie Howard 9th Grade Center, Project Discovery prepares and motivates low income and first generation college-eligible students to access opportunities in higher education. Through workshops and trips to college campuses, Project Discovery provides vital information about how to set and achieve educational goals. This program is supported by a Project Discover Advisory Board whose mission is to raise funds, promote community involvement and foster positive public relations. Learn more.