King-Callahan-Russell Intersection Improvement Project
Project Update [September 2023]: Project construction will begin in October. Visit the Project Development section for more information.
The City of Alexandria was awarded a grant from the Federal Transit Authority (FTA) to make pedestrian and bicycle safety improvements to improve access to transit. The intersection of King Street, Callahan Drive and Russell Road was identified as a priority location for these improvements. As part of the City's Complete Streets Program, the City kicked off this project at a public meeting on January 15, 2015.
The objectives of this project are to :
- Create safer, more direct pedestrian crossings
- Provide dedicated bicycle facilities
- Reduce delay for all users of the intersection
Status: In Progress (October 2023-Spring 2024)
Project construction is planned to begin early October 2023. Work crews may be present on-site Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Construction activity impacting roadway and sidewalk access is limited to Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Residents and commuters should plan to account for potential delays.
To share questions or concerns about project construction, please contact Reginald.Arno@alexandriava.gov.
The project includes several improvements at the intersection of King Street, Callahan Drive, and Russell Road:
- A new crossing of King Street on the west side of the intersection
- Safer, more direct crossings of both King Street and Callahan Drive
- Removal of the slip ramp to improve safety by reducing vehicle turning speed
- A leading pedestrian interval (or LPI) for all crossings, a safety measure that provides a few seconds of head-start for crossing pedestrians
- Upgraded sidewalks to provide more space, accessible ramps, and connection to the Masonic Temple steps
- A westbound bike lane where riders can safely position themselves on the approach to the intersection
- An eastbound bike lane, including a section that is fully separated from the roadway, that gives riders a designated space through the intersection
- Signal timing adjustments to minimize delay
Staff has continues to engage with the community throughout the duration of this project: Here are upcoming engagement opportunities:
- King and Commonwealth Infrastructure Investments Open House
Wednesday, October 4, 2023, 5-7 p.m.
Alexandria Union Station
110 Callahan Drive
Below are materials from past outreach efforts on this project:
- Public Meeting #1, January 15, 2015: Presentation | Community Comments
- Public Meeting #2, June 23, 2015: Presentation | Community Feedback
- Public Meeting #3, December 8, 2015 | Presentation
- Community Leader Walkabout, 2018
- Rosemont Civic Association Meeting, February 2020
- Meetings with civic association leadership, institutions, and small resident groups: March 2020, October 2020, November 2020
- Virtual Open House, October 19, 2020 - November 9, 2020: Narrated Presentation | Project Update | FAQs | Comment Summary
- Traffic & Parking Board Public Hearing, December 21, 2020: Meeting Recording | Meeting Minutes
- The Traffic & Parking Board approved the project unanimously.
- City Council Public Hearing, March 2021: Meeting Recording | Meeting Minutes
- City Council approved the project unanimously.