Interested in Running for Alexandria School Board, District A? Learn More about the January 9 Special Election
The Alexandria Circuit Court has ordered a Special Election for School Board, District A to be held on January 9, 2024.
For any interested candidates, the deadline to have all required paperwork submitted to the Office of Voter Registration & Elections is next Tuesday, December 5, by 5 p.m.
The Virginia Department of Elections website hosts candidate bulletins specific to Alexandria’s January 9 Special Election. The website also includes all required filing forms. Candidates may also pick up a forms packet at the Alexandria Voter Registration Office. A summary of filing information follows.
Ballot Access Paperwork
School Board elections in Alexandria are nonpartisan. All candidates run as independent by district and must file the following paperwork with the Alexandria Voter Registration & Elections Office. There is no filing fee.
- Declaration of Candidacy.
- Candidate Petitions (with 125 signatures of qualified voters from School Board, District A).
- Certificate of Candidate Qualification.
- Statement of Economic Interests.
- Statement of Organization.
Campaign Finance Reporting Requirements
Any individual campaigning for School Board must file regular campaign finance reports and a Statement of Organization. The signed Statement of Organization must be submitted to the Alexandria Voter Registration Office within 10 days of meeting any one of the following conditions:
- Acceptance of a contribution.
- Expenditure of any funds.
- The payment of a filing fee for any party nomination method.
- The filing of a candidate statement of qualification.
- The appointment of a campaign treasurer, designation of a campaign committee or designation of a campaign depository.
The Alexandria Voter Registration Office posts new Statements of Organization as soon as they are received.
For more information, contact Alexandria Office of Voter Registration and Elections,132 North Royal St., Suite 100, Alexandria, VA 22314 at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.746.4050
If you prefer communication in another language, free interpretation and translation services are available to you, please email LanguageAccess@alexandriava.gov or call 703.746.3960.