Medicare Open Enrollment
Medicare Open Enrollment October 15 - December 7, 2023
During Medicare Open Enrollment, you can:
- Change your prescription drug plan also known as Medicare Part D
- Join a Medicare Advantage Plan with drug benefits
- Change from your current Medicare Advantage Plan to another Medicare Advantage Plan
- Sign up for the first time for Prescription Drug Coverage (Part D)
All changes will be effective January 1, 2024.
Everyone with a Medicare Part D prescription drug and/or Medicare Advantage plans should review their coverage. Here is what to look for:
- Check for changes in the monthly cost you pay for your plan (the premium).
- Check the cost of each medication you take, as costs may increase or decrease.
Plans can also change the drugs covered (the formulary) and the amount of the annual deductible (the amount you must pay before your prescription drug plan begins to pay) so review these too.
Ways To Get Help
SELF-CHECKUP -DO IT YOURSELF
It is easy to review your plan and make the changes yourself.
You will need: a computer, your medication list with the names and dosages of your medications and your Medicare card
- Go to medicare.gov.
- Create your “My Medicare” account or log into your Medicare Account
- Click on Find health and drug plans
- Enter the information requested (zip code, preferred pharmacy, medications) to get a list of plans tailored to you.
- Compare Plans by selecting the plans you would like to review/compare
- Compare the cost of plan premiums and deductibles
If you are satisfied with your current plan, no further action is needed.
If you compare plans and find a plan that better meets your needs. You can:
1. Call the plan or check their web site to confirm the information, then
2. Switch plans by:
- Calling 1.800.Medicare to request the switch to your selected plan
- Enroll in the plan using your “My Medicare” account: medicare.gov. THIS IS THE EASIEST WAY.
Your coverage in the new plan will start January 1, 2024 and you will be disenrolled from the old plan.