Crystal City-Potomac Yard Transitway Project
Metroway Off to Strong Start
new Metroway premium transit service, which opened in late August, has begun
with a strong start, raising weekday ridership to nearly 1,500 per day. This
exceeds ridership of the 9S bus (the Crystal City/Potomac Yard shuttle, which
was replaced by Metroway) by 50% and builds on unchanged 9A bus ridership
(which also operates through the four Alexandria Metroway stations).
Metroway, 9S and 9A Ridership, August 1-September 16,
Metroway Service Begins!
- Metroway service between Braddock Road and Crystal City Metro Stations, via the Crystal City-Potomac Yard Transitway, began Sunday, August 24th.
- Metroway replaces the Metrobus 9S and features dedicated bus-only lanes, consolidated bus stops, greater bus frequency, later night service, seven days a week.
- Buses run every 12 minutes on weekdays and every 20 minutes on weekends.
- Services operates during the following hours:
- Monday-Thursday: 5:30 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Friday: 5:30 a.m. - midnight
- Saturday: 6:30 a.m. - midnight
- Sunday: 7:30 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- See metrowayva.com for all the details.
Photos by BeyondDC.com
Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
- On Saturday, August 23rd, a ribbon cutting ceremony took place to celebrate the opening of the Crystal City-Potomac Yard Transitway.
- Alexandria Mayor and WMATA Board Mayor Bill Euille was master of ceremonies and delivered the opening remarks.
- Guest speakers at the ceremony included:
- Mary Hughes Hynes, Vice Chair of the Arlington County Board
- Timothy Lovain, Second Vice Chair of the Transportation Planning Board and Alexandria City Councilmember
- Matthew Welbes, Executive Director of the Federal Transit Administration
- Jennifer Mitchell, Director of the Virginia Department of Rail & Public Transportation
- Jack Requa, Assistant General Manager of Bus Services at WMATA
- The Mayor, City Councilmembers, and guest speakers opened the transitway with a ribbon cutting and ceremonial first ride on the new Metroway service.
Photos by Fullertography
- Real-time bus arrival screens in all transit stations
- Extension of dedicated transitway from South Glebe Rd. to Crystal City in Arlington
- Metroway route to be extended to Pentagon City Metrorail Station with new stops at Fayette St. in Alexandria and Pentagon City Metro Station and 33rd & Crystal Dr. in Arlington
- Off-board fare collection and all door boarding