FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: June 5, 2008
City of Alexandria Advises Residents on Storm Cleanup Procedures
Following yesterday’s severe weather and thunderstorms, the City of Alexandria reminds residents about storm cleanup procedures if they need to conduct debris cleanup, cope with a power outage, or address a sewer backup in their home.
City crews are currently removing trees, limbs and branches that have fallen into City streets and public rights of way. If a City tree has fallen onto private property, notify the City at 703.838.4999. If a tree falls onto City streets or is blocking streets and/or highways, the City will remove the tree. Contact the Alexandria Police Department, 703.838.4444 about the removal of trees blocking streets at 703.838.4444.
Trees growing on private property that have fallen on private property are the responsibility of the homeowner. Debris should be bundled and placed curbside for pick up on your normally scheduled refuse collection day. Brush materials must be bundled in lengths no longer than four feet, and weigh no more than 70 pounds per bundle. Branches or brush pieces should not be larger than 2 to 3 inches in diameter, and should not include logs or stumps. Debris should not block fire hydrants. For more information about refuse collection, please call 703.519.3486.
As of this morning, there are a reported 6,320 power outages in the City of Alexandria. Power outages have closed Polk Elementary School and Patrick Henry Elementary School today. Due to power outages and downed trees, two traffic intersections still have inoperable traffic lights. Please use caution and treat any intersections without working traffic lights as a four-way stop. To report power outages, citizens should call Dominion Virginia Power, 1.888.667.3000. To determine the latest information on power outages in your neighborhood, please visit www.dom.com.
Cleanup of sewage backups in homes and businesses is the responsibility of the property owner. Property owners are advised to take the following actions after a sewer backup:
1. Take photos of the damage to basement rooms and furnishings.
2. Report the damage to their own insurance company.
3. Put damaged carpet, furniture, and other household items at the curb for pickup by City crews (at no charge). Call 703.519.3486 for more information.
4. Commercial firms that provide cleanup following water damage are listed in the yellow pages of the telephone book.
5. Individuals wishing to file a claim with the City should call the Office of Risk Management at 703.838.4549. All claims will be investigated.
6. For health-related questions, contact the Alexandria Health Department, Environmental Health Division, 703.838.4400, ext. 266.