Employment & Volunteer Opportunities
If you are seeking employment or job training or looking for volunteer opportunities, there are many programs available to help you.
- Experienced Worker 55+ Program - Alexandria's One-Stop Career Center offers a variety of services for job seekers including a resource center with computers, Internet, fax machines, copies and telephones for persons to conduct a job search. Additionally there are employment specialists to provide one-on-one assistance. See the JobLink webpage.
- Employment Counseling through Senior Services of Alexandria – Call 703.836.4414.
- Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) – Managed by the National Council on Aging, SCSEP is the nation's oldest program to provide training and employment opportunities to low-income Americans over age 55. For more information call 703.548.9663.
- Employment Resource Center - Senior Employment Resources was created exclusively for seniors. Office is located in Annandale. Contact them through their website.
- Alexandria Adult Day Services Center - Provides volunteer opportunities designed for individuals who are interested in donating their time and talents to work with seniors with disabilities. Contact Kimberly Taylor-Davis, Activities Director at 703.746.5676 or email Kimberly.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Friendly Visitor Program- Senior Services of Alexandria is actively recruiting volunteers to participate in the Friendly Visitor Program. Through planned weekly visits, volunteers bring friendship and community connections to seniors who are often restricted by their living facilities and/or may lack the local support of friends and family. For more information please contact Sarah Drexler at (703)836-4414, ext. 20 or via email at: email@example.com.
- Meals on Wheels - Volunteers are needed to deliver meals to seniors who are homebound. You can give as few as two hours a month. Call 703.836.4414.
- Medicare Health Insurance Counseling Program- The Virginia Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program (VICAP) is looking for volunteer counselors to help Medicare beneficiaries and their caregivers in Alexandria and Arlington by answering questions, helping to organize bills and payment records, enroll in Medicare Part D and assist with claims and appeals. Volunteers receive extensive training on Medicare, Medicaid and related health insurance topics. Bilingual volunteers are greatly needed. Call 703.228.1700 and ask for the VICAP counselor on duty or contact Cedar Dvorin at 703.228.1726 or Cdvorin@arlingtonva.us.
- Volunteer Alexandria - The mission of Volunteer Alexandria is to build a better community by inspiring and mobilizing people to volunteer. Call 703.836.2176.
- Northern Virginia Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program - Volunteers are trained to serve as advocates for the needs and rights of residents of licensed nursing homes and assisted living facilities. Four hours spent visiting their assigned facility each week is required. Annual training is provided. Please call 703.324.5861.