"Recycling: An Everyday Way to Fight Global Climate Change!"
Condominiums, apartments, and Homeowners Association's (HOAs) are required to provide recycling to residents. These entities are subject to the requirements described under Article H of Title 5.
Generally accepted recyclable materials include:
- All plastic bottles and jugs
- All glass bottles and jars
- All metal beverage and food cans
- Newspaper and inserts
- Magazines, catalogs, and phone books
- Junk mail including envelops with windows
- Paperboard (cereal & cracker boxes, paper towel rolls, egg cartons)
- Brown paper bags
- Cardboard boxes (flattened).
Remember to rinse containers. No need to remove labels or lids.
Please view the City's "Yes/No List" for more information on what is recyclable in most recycling collection programs.
Please contact your property manager or owner to find out what is specifically acceptable and how to recycle at your home.
- Small metal items (i.e. metal blinds, pots & pans,door knobs, etc.) These items can be recycled at Covanta Energy:
- Wax-coated paper (i.e. frozen food boxes, political signs, wax paper, etc.)
- Ceramic Cups and Glasses
- Styrofoam and Packing Peanuts
- Plastic garbage bags: Plastic garbage bags should not be used or placed in Alexandria's curbside recycling program. These bags become tangled in the recycling processing machines causing damage and higher costs to recycling.
- Small/large propane tanks (i.e. camping propane tanks).
- Unacceptable plastic containers and bags: Plastic containers are made with different types of plastic and are formed differently. This causes these containers to melt at a different temperature. To know which plastic containers your recycling program accepts, contact your property manager or owner. Plastic grocery bags/film are collected at most neighborhood grocery stores.
Request More Information?
Please contact the Recycling Coordinator at 703-746-4431 or firstname.lastname@example.org.