City of Alexandria, VA
Amy Cable - "I always thought that I would not have enough time or energy to volunteer. However, I realized that volunteering is a natural energy fix for me. I always feel exhilarated after I finish a SOHO session."
- Volunteer Director, West End - Space of Her Own (SOHO)
Christine Coussens - "I like the fact that Human Services is trying to go beyond meeting the basic needs (food, water, clothing) to meeting the social development needs of the foster kids, and at-risk kids."
- Alexandria's Human Services
Henry Desmarais - "I also feel a much closer link to the City of Alexandria itself…it's fun to interact with visitors and help them learn a little bit about Alexandria's early history."
- Docent, Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum
Linda Johnson - "With determination and support, people can overcome addiction and unemployment, creating better lives for themselves and their children."
- Volunteer Advocate, Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA)
Steve Kimbel - "What would I recommend? Just do it!"
- Docent volunteer, Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum
James Lightfoot - "I get to help rebuild lives through teaching, mentoring and being a friend to those who are incarcerated."
- Chairman, St. Joseph Catholic Church - Social Concerns
Angela Miller - "By volunteering, I now feel like I am actively involved in my own community and am a small part of what makes this City great."
- Representative Payee, Alexandria Community Services Board
Troy Seals - "I challenge the adults in the community to become a volunteer. You may be thinking that you do not have enough time, but somewhere between my job, wife, and two kids I was able to find the time."
- Mentor, iMovie Mentor's Program
Danielle Thomas-Pollard - "The best part of volunteering with ACAP is meeting active, involved parents, teens, and community leaders who are concerned about children and their future."
- Editor, Let's Talk Newsletter, Alexandria Campaign on Adolescent Pregnancy (ACAP)
Nancy Turner - "I liked the library and it was accessible by bus. It just seemed like an ideal organization for me to spend time and activity."
-Volunteer, Beatley Library
Nancy Van Gulick - "Seek it out – don't wait to hear from someone asking you to volunteer. Pursue the cause and get involved."
- Chairman, The Fund for Alexandria's Child