FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 15, 2008
Alexandria’s Vehicle Personal Property Tax Due October 6
The City of Alexandria reminds taxpayers that the 2008 Vehicle Personal Property Tax is due Monday, October 6. All vehicle owners who lived in the City for all or part of calendar year 2008 owe tax. To avoid penalties and interest, payment in full must be received or postmarked by October 6, 2008.
Late payment penalties, administrative fees, and interest will be assessed on all personal property tax accounts that are not paid by the due date. The late payment penalty is ten percent of the tax due or $10, whichever is greater. The administrative fee, which is assessed on each account to cover the cost of collections, is $45 for delinquent balances greater than $50 and $20 for balances between $20 and $49.99. Interest accrues at an annual rate of ten percent for the first year and five percent for each year thereafter.
The Finance Department urges Alexandria taxpayers to pay their personal property taxes by mail or online to avoid long waiting lines at Alexandria City Hall. The City offers several convenient methods for paying the personal property tax:
- Pay by mail using the envelope enclosed with your bill, or mail payment to the Treasurer’s Office, Department 34710, Alexandria, VA 22334-0710. Please make checks or money orders payable to the City of Alexandria. Please also be sure to include the bill you are paying and write your account number in the memo field on your check or money order. Returned checks are subject to a $35 fee in accordance with state law. Please do not mail payments to any other address.
- Pay by eCheck online to electronically deduct payment from a specified checking or savings account. No fee is charged for using this service, which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Pay by Credit Card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, by calling 1.800.272.9829, or online. You may also pay by credit card online at the kiosk in City Hall, Room 1700, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Official Payments Corporation will assess a fee for using this service. The City’s jurisdiction code is 1007.
- Pay at any SunTrust Bank branch located in the City. SunTrust Bank will accept payment of the total amount printed on the personal property tax bill until 5 p.m. on October 6, 2008.
- Pay in person at the Treasury Division, City Hall, 301 King St., Room 1510, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, and between 9 a.m. and noon on Saturday, October 4. Tax bills may be paid in person by cash, check, money order, or Discover Card. Discover will assess a fee for using this service.
A drop box located on the Royal Street side of City Hall is also available 24 hours a day. Please be sure to include the bill you are paying and write your account number in the memo field on your check. Returned checks are subject to a $35 fee in accordance with state law. For your protection, please do not leave cash.
If you have not received a personal property tax bill, please contact the Personal Property Tax Branch at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703.838.4560. You may also contact the City’s Treasury Division at email@example.com or call 703.838.4777. Taxpayers who have had a change of address and have not previously reported this change to the City should contact the Personal Property Tax Branch so that a bill can be provided for them prior to the October 6 due date.
For more information on personal property tax, please contact the Personal Property Tax Branch or visit the Finance Department Web site at alexandriava.gov/finance and click on Personal Property (Vehicle) Tax in the More Information sidebar. For information on payments, late payment penalty and interest, contact the Treasury Division or view the Alexandria Tax Guide on the Finance Department web site.
Si necesita ayuda en Español, por favor llame al 703.838.5083.