Recycling Drop-Off Centers
The City has four drop-off recycling centers. These centers have recycling containers for residents to deposit recyclables. The drop-off centers are open 24 hours a day, 7 day a week.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to safety and environmental recommendations from the US Department of Transportation, the City will no longer be collecting batteries at the recycling drop-off center, as of March 26, 2010. Learn More! Please take all batteries to the Household Hazardous Waste & Electronics Recycling Center located at 3224 Colving St during operating hours.
Please place the correct material in the correct container
- Mixed containers: Glass bottles & jars, aluminum & steel cans, and plastic bottles & jugs.
- Mixed Paper: Newspaper, magazines, catalogs, white & colored paper, junk mail, phone books, hard back books, paperboard (cereal/cracker boxes, paper towel rolls, soda boxes, etc.), and junk mail including all envelopes.
- Flattened Cardboard
- Styrofoam and Packing Peanuts
- Plastic Bags
- Pots and Pans
- Pizza boxes: Pizza boxes are typically contaminated by oils and food leftover from the pizza and cannot be cleaned from the cardboard.
- Non-accepted plastic containers and bags: Plastic containers are made with different types of plastic and are formed differently. This causes these containers to melt at a different temperature. To know which plastic containers your recycling program accepts, contact your property manager or owner. Plastic grocery bags are collected at most neighborhood grocery stores.
- For more information on recycling plastics, please read the following article "Recycling Plastic: Complications and Limitations."
As the markets change and develop, what is and is not recyclable may change. The City of Alexandria's Recycling Program will work to keep you informed about what is and is not recyclable.