FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 18, 2008
City of Alexandria Announces Schedule of Services for the Thanksgiving Holiday
Thursday, November 27, and Friday, November 28
All City of Alexandria government offices will be closed on Thursday, November 27, and Friday, November 28, in observance of the Thanksgiving Day holiday.
- Alexandria City Public Schools: The Alexandria City Public Schools will be closed on November 27 and 28.
- Recreation Centers: All City of Alexandria recreation centers, including the Chinquapin Recreation Center, will be closed on November 27. The Chinquapin Recreation Center will be open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. on November 28. All other City recreation centers will open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on November 28.
- Libraries: All Alexandria Library branches will be closed on November 27 and 28.
- Transit: Alexandria Transit Company’s DASH bus service will not operate on November 27. DASH bus service will operate a regular weekday schedule on November 28.
- Refuse Collection: Residential trash and recycling will be collected on the regularly scheduled day during the week of Thanksgiving, including Thanksgiving Day, November 27.
- Parking: The Alexandria Police Department will suspend enforcement of parking restrictions at metered spaces, as well as time restrictions in residential permit parking districts and other areas with signed parking time limits, on November 27 and 28.
- State Offices: The General and Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Courts, and the DMV Office at 2681 Mill Road will close at noon on November 26, and remain closed on November 27 and 28. The Circuit Court will be open all day on November 26, and will be closed on November 27 and 28.
- Health Facilities: The Alexandria Health Department (4480 King St.), the Flora Krause Casey Health Center (1200 N. Howard St.), and the Adolescent Health Center (3701 W. Braddock Rd.) will close at noon on November 26 and remain closed on November 27 and 28.
- Hotlines: All emergency hotlines operated by the Alexandria Office on Women operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including the domestic violence hotline, 703.838.4911, and the sexual assault hotline, 703.683.7273.