Braddock Metro Neighborhood Plan Implementation Phase
- Braddock Implementation! The Braddock Implementation Advisory Group (BIAG) and City staff continue to implement the recommendations of the 2008 Braddock Metro Neighborhood Plan. Currently, the BIAG is focused on planning for new open space at 600 N. Henry Street, a 1-acre community park on the Wythe Street Post Office block, and neighborhood retail.
- The BIAG met on October 29, 2013 in City Hall to discuss the future community open space at 600 N. Henry Street. See below under Past Events to view the meeting materials.
- Upcoming BIAG meetings: January 27th, March 24th, and June 2nd
For more information about the Braddock Metro Neighborhood Plan implementation process, please contact Brandi D. Collins & Nathan Imm, urban planners with the Department of Planning and Zoning at 703.746.4666.
The Alexandria City Council approved the Braddock Metro Neighborhood Plan on March 15, 2008.The framework and recommendations in the Braddock Metro Neighborhood Plan are based on seven guiding principles.
- Create a sense of place/neighborhood identity, vitality and diversity.
- Provide walkable neighborhoods that are secure and feel safe.
- Establish a variety of community serving, usable open spaces.
- Encourage community-serving retail and services.
- Promote mixed-income housing and follow an open, fair and inclusive process to deconcentrate public housing.
- Manage multi-modal transportation, parking and road infrastructure.
- Achieve varying and transitional heights and scales.
The Braddock East Master Plan, approved by City Council on October 18, 2008, expands upon the fifth of these principles; to promote mixed income communities through the redevelopment of the existing public housing sites within the Braddock East planning area.
On February 2, 2009, City Council established the Braddock Metro Neighborhood Plan Implementation Advisory Group (BIAG) to assist City staff in implementing the recommendations of both the Braddock Metro Neighborhood and Braddock East plans.
On June 9, 2009, City Council adopted the establishment of the Braddock Open Space and the Braddock Community Amenities Fund Accounts and approved a formula for developer contributions. A link to City Council's action docket is available by clicking here.
Braddock Plan Documents
Braddock Park Guiding Principles
Community members and the Braddock Implementation Advisory Group worked together to create principles that will guide the planning and construction of the future park on the Wythe Street Post Office block. View the Braddock Park Guiding Principles.
- Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - Braddock Implementation Advisory Group meeting and Community Meeting, City Hall, Room 2000
- Monday, September 16, 2013 - Braddock Implementation Advisory Group Meeting and Community Meeting, Charles Houston Recreation Center
- Thursday, May 30, 2013 - Braddock Implementation Advisory Group Meeting and Community Park Planning Meeting, Charles Houston Recreation Center
- Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - Braddock Park Planning Community Meeting, Hosted by Braddock Implementation Advisory Group
- March 9, 2013 - Braddock Park Planning Open House
- December 10, 2012 - Braddock Implementation Advisory Group (IAG) Meeting #6 & Braddock IAG-Hosted Community Park Planning Meeting
- November 7, 2012 - Braddock Implementation Advisory Group Meeting #5
- September 24, 2012 - Braddock Implementation Advisory Group Meeting #4
- June 23, 2011 - Braddock Implementation Advisory Group Meeting #3
- March 16, 2011 - Braddock Implementation Advisory Group Meeting #2
- May 20, 2009 - Braddock Implementation Advisory Group Meeting #1
- May 16, 2009 - City Council Public Hearing
- Docket Item 5, Establishment of Braddock Open Space and Community Amenity Fund Accounts
(Deferred to June 9 following public hearing)
- March 5, 2009 - Planning Commission Public Hearing
- February 9, 2009 - Community Meeting
- February 2, 2009 - City Council Legislative Meeting
- Docket Item 2, Establishment of Braddock Implementation Advisory Group
- January 12, 2009 - Community Meeting