City of Alexandria Hosts Witter Athletic Fields Grand Opening
The City of Alexandria is pleased to announce the official opening of the Witter Athletic Fields, located at 2600 Business Center Dr.
Project resources for land acquisition and construction of the athletic complex are a result of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge Settlement Agreement Record of Decision between the City of Alexandria and the Federal Highway Administration. The project was approved by the Alexandria Planning Commission and City Council in October 2007.
The athletic complex includes:
- Two multipurpose synthetic fields suitable for field sports, such as soccer, lacrosse, rugby, and football
- One 225-foot softball diamond
- State-of-the-art sports lighting for all three fields
- One hundred forty-one parking spaces carefully oriented to minimize headlight glare on the playing fields
- Signature Architecture Park buildings including rooftop photovoltaic solar panels, Natural day lighting and low voltage lighting systems
- Furnishings, including trash receptacles, benches, and bike racks, constructed of 95% recycled domestic steel
- Half-mile fitness path for jogging and walking
In addition, two historic sites were preserved on the property, including:
- Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century residents of the site included the Whaley and Bloxham families. The Bloxham legacy is honored by the preservation of their family cemetery; and
- A Native American site, consistent with prehistoric settlements along Taylor Run, dating back approximately 3,000 years.
For additional information, contact Jack Browand, Division Chief, at 703.746.5504 or email@example.com.
The City of Alexandria is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. To request a reasonable accommodation or to request materials in an alternative format, contact Jack Browand at 703.746.5418 (VA Relay 711) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.