For Immediate Release: October 31, 2008
Alexandria’s Second Half Real Estate Tax Due Monday, November 17
The City of Alexandria reminds property owners that the second half 2008 Real Estate Tax and Refuse Fee payments are due November 17. To avoid a late payment penalty and interest, payment must be received by the City or postmarked by the U.S. Postal Service no later than November 17.
If you have not received a bill in the mail and do not have your real estate tax paid by your mortgage company, contact the City’s Treasury Division at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 703.838.4777 to request a duplicate bill. Failure to receive a tax bill is not grounds for waiving the late payment penalty and interest, or extending the November 17 due date.
Late payment penalties and interest will be assessed on all real estate tax that is not paid or postmarked by the due date. The late payment penalty is ten percent of the net tax and late filing penalty or $10, whichever is greater. Interest accrues at an annual rate of 10% for the first year and 5% for each year thereafter, beginning November 18, 2008, and continuing until all taxes and penalties are paid.
The Finance Department urges Alexandria property owners to avoid waiting in line by using one of the following convenient methods for paying the real estate tax:
- Pay by eCheck online to have the payment electronically deducted from a specified checking or savings account. To pay by eCheck, visit the Finance Department’s Payment web page at alexandriava.gov/payments. You may also pay by eCheck online at City Hall, Room 1700, during normal office hours. There is no fee for using this service, which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Pay by Automatic Bank Debit. Real estate tax payments can be automatically deducted from a specified checking or savings account in monthly installments, or in two equal installments on each of the semi-annual tax due dates. There is no fee for using this service. However, you must register at least 14 days before the desired debits are to take effect. Failure to enroll for the lump sum payment option by November 1 may result in a late payment if the tax is not paid by Monday, November 17. For more information, visit alexandriava.gov/payments or contact the Treasury Division.
- Pay by Credit Card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, by calling 1.800.272.9829, or online at the Finance Department’s Payment Web page at alexandriava.gov/payments. You may also pay by credit card online at the kiosk in City Hall, Room 1700, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Official Payments Corporation will assess a fee for using this service. The City’s jurisdiction code is 1007.
- Pay by mail using the envelope enclosed with your bill, or mail payment to the Treasurer’s Office, P.O. Box 34750, Alexandria, VA 22334-0750. Please make checks or money orders payable to the City of Alexandria. Also, please be sure to include the bill you are paying and write your account number in the memo field on your check or money order. Returned checks are subject to a $35 fee in accordance with state law. Please do not mail payments to any other address.
- Pay at any SunTrust Bank branch located in the City by 5 p.m. on November 17. SunTrust will only accept payment of the total amount printed on the real estate tax bill. There is no fee for this service.
- Pay in person at the Treasury Division, City Hall, 301 King St., Room 1510, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, and between 9 a.m. and noon on Saturday, November 15. Tax bills may be paid in person by cash, check, or Discover Card. Discover will assess a fee for using this service. A drop box located on the Royal Street side of City Hall is also available 24 hours a day. Please be sure to include the bill you are paying and write your account number in the memo field on your check. Returned checks are subject to a $35 fee, in accordance with state law. For your protection, please do not submit cash.
- Pay through the City’s “Real Estate Tax History Search and Pay” online by visiting the Finance Department’s Real Estate Information Web page. Go to alexandriava.gov/finance and click on Real Estate Tax Information in the Quick Links sidebar, and then click on Real Estate Tax History and Payments. This program allows you to verify current and prior year real estate taxes 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In addition, the program allows property owners to pay real estate taxes by eCheck or credit card.
Property owners who changed their mailing address, but did not report this change to the City should contact the Department of Real Estate Assessments at email@example.com, or call 703.838.4646 to ensure that all future bills and correspondence are mailed to the correct address.
For more information on real estate tax, please visit the Finance Department Web site at alexandriava.gov/finance and click on Real Estate Tax Information in the Quick Links sidebar. For information on real estate assessments, appeals or updating your mailing address, contact the Department of Real Estate Assessments. For information on payments, late payment penalties and interest, contact the Treasury Division or see the Alexandria Tax Guide on the Finance Department Web site.
Si necesita ayuda en Español, por favor llame al 703.838.5083.