Information & Referral
Resources for finding information about services and programs available in Alexandria as well as nationwide.
- Guide to Services for Older Alexandrians - a comprehensive guide for services for seniors in the Alexandria area.
- Department of Human Services Information and Referral- 703.746.5902.
- 2-1-1 – Dial 211 toll free to find services in Virginia or visit www.virginia211.org to search online.
- Senior Navigator - a national model for online aging and disability resources.
- Federal Administration on Aging’s ElderCare Locator - a public service of the U.S. Administration on Aging. The Eldercare Locator is your first step for finding local agencies, in every U.S. community, that can help older persons and their families access home and community-based services like transportation, meals, home care, and caregiver support services. Call 800.677.1116.
- Alexandria Commission on Aging - This Commission advocates for seniors and their families. The Commission consists of 21 members appointed by City Council. For more information, call the Office of Aging and Adult Services at 703.746.5999.
- Viriginia Easy Access-helps find services and support for seniors, adults with disabilities, their caregivers and the providers that support them.
- The Virginia State Bar Association has a new edition of the Senior Citizen’s Handbook. The Senior Citizens Handbook is a resource for seniors, their families, and their caregivers to provide an overview of and contact information for opportunities and choices facing senior citizens today, with a summary of how specific laws affect Virginia's elder citizens and practical advice on issues such as Medicaid, Alzheimer’s Disease, landlord-tenant relations, and much more. There is also an extensive list of community-service organizations that detail the various services available to senior citizens. You can find the handbook at: http://www.vsb.org/site/publications/senior-citizens-handbook