FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: December 22, 2008
Virginia House of Delegates Special Election Key Dates
Special Election is January 13, 2009
On January 13, Democrat Charniele L. Herring and Republican Joe R. Murray will square off in a special election on January 13. The election is being held to replace Brian Moran, who resigned on December 12 from the Virginia House of Delegates 46th District. The district comprises 11 Alexandria precincts in the western part of the city and the Skyline precinct in Fairfax County. Residents may go online to www.alexandriavoter.org or call the Alexandria Office of Voter Registration and Elections at 703.838.4050 to determine their eligibility to vote in the special election.
The short election timeline greatly compresses deadlines and absentee voting opportunities. Here are the special election key dates:
• December 23 In-person absentee voting begins
• January 6, 5:00 p.m. Deadline to apply for absentee ballot by mail
• January 6, 5:00 p.m. In-person voter registration deadline
• January 6 Postmark deadline for mail voter registration
• January 10, 5:00 p.m. In-person absentee ballot deadline
• January 13 Polls open from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
• January 13, 7:00 p.m. Mailed absentee ballots deadline
Voters wishing to register to vote, or who wish to cast their absentee vote in person can do so at the Office of Voter Registration and Elections, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The office will also be open on Saturday, January 10, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The office will be closed for the holidays on December 24 and 25 and on January 1.
For complete election information, contact Tom Parkins, General Registrar, at 703.838.4050 or email@example.com, or go to www.alexandriavoter.org.