The museum boasts a remarkable collection of herbal botanicals, handblown glass, and medical equipment, much still in its original location. It also has a spectacular collection of archival materials, including journals, letters and diaries, prescription and formula books, ledgers, orders and invoices. The names of famous customers appear in these documents, including Martha Washington, Nelly Custis and Robert E. Lee.
Since 2006 when the museum was donated to the City of Alexandria, the museum continues to evolve as new research is uncovered and the museum expands its understanding and interpretation of the medical and business history captured by this site.
- Due to school tours, the Apothecary Museum will be opening
late the following days:
- Friday, Nov. 13, opening at 1:00pm
- Wednesday, Nov. 18, opening at 1:00pm
- Friday, Nov. 20, opening at 12:00pm
- Wednesday, Dec. 2, opening at 1:00pm
- The Apothecary Museum has reopened after renovation. Come see the results! The historic first-floor retail space has been repainted based on paint analysis, returning the room to its ca. 1900 appearance.
- Visit the
Historic Alexandria Calendar for a full list of events.
eHistory at your Fingertips
Other Important Links