Alexandria’s First Half Real Estate Taxes and Refuse Fees Due Friday, June 15
- 2012 first half real estate tax and refuse fee payments are due Friday, June 15.
- Late payment penalty and interest will be assessed on all accounts not paid by the due date.
- The City encourages taxpayers to avoid waiting in line by using one of the alternate payment methods described below.
The City of Alexandria reminds property owners that first half 2012 real estate tax and refuse fee payments are due Friday, June 15. To be considered on time, payment must be received by the City or postmarked by the U.S. Postal Service no later than June 15. In accordance with the Alexandria City Code, late payment penalty and interest will be assessed on all accounts that are not paid in full by the due date. The late payment penalty is 10 percent of the combined tax and refuse fee or $10, whichever is greater. Interest accrues at an annual rate of 10 percent for the first year and five percent for each year thereafter, beginning June 16, 2012, and continuing until the entire outstanding balance is paid.
The Code of Virginia does not allow for extension of the due date or for the waiver of tax, penalty, or interest due to the property owner’s inability to pay or failure to receive a tax bill. Any property owner who has not received a bill in the mail and does not have real estate taxes paid through a mortgage company should contact the City’s Treasury Division at email@example.com or call 703.746.3902 to request a duplicate bill. Property owners who have refinanced in the past year may wish to verify that their current mortgage company has received their real estate tax bills.
The Finance Department urges Alexandria property owners to avoid waiting in line by using one of the other convenient methods for paying the real estate tax:
- Walk-In Cash Payment Centers: Global Express Bill Payment Centers allow cash payment of City taxes at 50 Northern Virginia locations at no charge to the taxpayer. A full list of locations is available at alexandriava.gov/Payments. A City tax bill is required for payment at these locations.
- eCheck: Property owners may pay by eCheck online to have the payment electronically deducted from a specified checking or savings account. Payment by eCheck is available on the City’s website at alexandriava.gov/Payments or through the “Real Estate Tax History Search and Pay” service described below. There is no fee for using this service.
- The City’s “Real Estate Tax History Search and Pay” Service: Property owners may use this online service by visiting alexandriava.gov/RealEstateTax and clicking on “Real Estate Tax History and Payments” in the content list at the top of the page. This program allows property owners to verify current and prior year real estate taxes and to pay real estate taxes by eCheck or credit card.
- Automatic Bank Debit: Real estate tax payments can be automatically deducted from a specified checking or savings account in monthly installments or in two equal installments on each of the semi-annual tax due dates. There is no fee for using this service; however, property owners must register at least 14 days before the desired debits are to take effect. Failure to enroll for the lump sum payment option by June 1 may result in a late payment penalty if the tax is not paid by Wednesday, June 15. Property owners needing more information may visit alexandriava.gov/Payments or contact the Treasury Division.
- Credit Card: Property owners may pay by Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover by phone by calling 1.800.272.9829 or online at alexandriava.gov/Payments. Official Payments Corporation will assess a fee for using this service. The City’s jurisdiction code is 1007.
- By Mail: Property owners may mail payments by check or money order using the envelope enclosed with the bill or mail payment to the Treasurer’s Office, P.O. Box 34750, Alexandria, VA 22334-0750. The check or money order should be payable to the City of Alexandria. Any property owner paying by mail should be sure to include the bill with the payment and to write the account number(s) in the memo field of the check or money order. Returned checks are subject to a $35 fee in accordance with state law. Payments should not be mailed to any other address.
- SunTrust Bank: Real estate tax payments will be accepted at any Sun Trust Bank branch located in the City through 5 p.m. on June 15. SunTrust will only accept payment of the total amount printed on the real estate tax bill. There is no fee for this service. A City tax bill is required for payment at SunTrust Bank.
- Drop Box: A payment drop box is located on the Royal Street side of City Hall. To be considered on-time, payments must be in the drop box by midnight on the due date. Taxpayers should be sure to include the bill and write the account number(s) in the memo field of the check or money order. Returned checks are subject to a $35 fee in accordance with state law. For their protection, taxpayers should not submit cash through the payment drop box.
- In person: Property owners may pay in person at the Treasury Division, City Hall, 301 King St., Room 1510 or at the payment kiosk in City Hall Room 1700 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. The Treasury Division accepts payments by cash, check, money order, or Discover Card. The payment kiosk accepts payments by cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, or Discover Card. Discover will assess a fee for using this service.
Property owners who have changed their mailing address or who have questions concerning assessments or appeals should contact the Department of Real Estate Assessments at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703.746.4646 to ensure that all future bills and correspondence are mailed to the correct address.
More information on real estate taxes, including the “Real Estate Tax History Search and Pay” service is available at alexandriava.gov/RealEstateTax. Additional information on payments, late payment penalty, and interest is available through the Alexandria Tax Guide online at alexandriava.gov/TaxGuide or through the Treasury Division.
Si necesita ayuda en Español, por favor llame al 703.746.3907.