Alexandria’s First Half Real Estate Tax Due Tuesday, June 15
- 2010 First Half Real Estate Tax and Refuse Fee payments due Tuesday, June 15
- Late payment penalty and interest will be assessed on all accounts not paid by the due date.
- The City encourages taxpayers to avoid waiting in line by using one of the alternate payment methods described below.
The City of Alexandria reminds property owners that the first half 2010 Real Estate Tax and Refuse Fee payments are due June 15. To avoid a late payment penalty and interest, payment must be received by the City or postmarked by the U.S. Postal Service no later than June 15.
If you have not received a bill in the mail and do not have your real estate tax paid by your mortgage company, e-mail the City’s Treasury Division at email@example.com, or call 703.746.3902 to request a duplicate bill. Failure to receive a tax bill is not grounds for waiving the late payment penalty and interest, or extending the June 15 due date.
In accordance with City Code, late payment penalty and interest will be assessed on all real estate taxes and refuse fees that are not paid or postmarked by the due date. The late payment penalty is 10 percent of the tax and refuse fee or $10, whichever is greater. Interest accrues at an annual rate of 10 percent for the first year and 5 percent for each year thereafter, beginning June 16, 2010, and continuing until the entire outstanding balance is paid. The Code of Virginia does not allow for waiver of tax, penalty or interest due to inability to pay.
Property owners may pay in person at the Treasury Division, City Hall, 301 King St., Room 1510, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Tax bills may be paid in person by cash, check, or Discover Card. Discover will assess a fee for using this service. You can avoid standing in line by mailing your payment or paying online at www.alexandriava.gov/payments.
The Finance Department urges Alexandria property owners to use one of the many other convenient methods for paying the real estate tax:
- Pay by eCheck online to have the payment electronically deducted from a specified checking or savings account. To pay by eCheck, visit the Finance Department’s Payment website at www.alexandriava.gov/Payments. You may also pay by eCheck online at City Hall, Room 1700, during normal office hours. There is no fee for using this service, which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Pay through the City’s “Real Estate Tax History Search and Pay” online service by visiting the Finance Department’s website at www.alexandriava.gov/RealEstateTax and clicking on Real Estate Tax History and Payments in the content list at the top of the page. This program allows you to verify current and prior year real estate taxes 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In addition, the program allows property owners to pay real estate taxes by eCheck or credit card.
- Pay by Automatic Bank Debit. Real estate tax payments can be automatically deducted from a specified checking or savings account in monthly installments, or in two equal installments on each of the semi-annual tax due dates. There is no fee for using this service. However, you must register at least 14 days before the desired debits are to take effect. Failure to enroll for the lump sum payment option by June 1 may result in a late payment if the tax is not paid by Tuesday, June 15. For more information, visit www.alexandriava.gov/Payments or contact the Treasury Division.
- Pay by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover Card) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, by calling 1.800.272.9829, or online at alexandriava.gov/payments. You may also pay by credit card online at the kiosk in City Hall, Room 1700, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Official Payments Corporation will assess a fee for using this service. The City’s jurisdiction code is 1007.
- Pay by mail using the envelope enclosed with your bill, or mail payment to the Treasurer’s Office, P.O. Box 34750, Alexandria, VA 22334-0750. Please make check or money order payable to the City of Alexandria. Also, please be sure to include the bill you are paying and write your account number in the memo field on your check or money order. Returned checks are subject to a $35 fee in accordance with state law. Please do not mail payments to any other address.
- Pay at any SunTrust Bank branch located in the City by 5 p.m. on June 15. SunTrust will only accept payment of the total amount printed on the real estate tax bill. There is no fee for this service.
- A drop box located on the Royal Street side of City Hall is also available 24 hours a day. To be considered on time, payments must be in the drop box by midnight on the due date. Please be sure to include the bill you are paying and write your account number in the memo field on your check. Returned checks are subject to a $35 fee, in accordance with state law. For your protection, please do not submit cash.
Property owners with a new mailing address or those who have questions concerning assessments or appeals should e-mail the Department of Real Estate Assessments at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 703.746.4646 to ensure that all future bills and correspondence are mailed to the correct address.
For more information on real estate tax, please visit the Finance Department website at www.alexandriava.gov/RealEstateTax. For information on payments, late payment penalty and interest, contact the Treasury Division or view the Alexandria Tax Guide at www.alexandriava.gov/Finance.
Si necesita ayuda en Español, por favor llame al 703.746.3907.