Services Available to Victims of Crime in Alexandria
The Alexandria Victim-Witness Assistance Program, part of the Commonwealth Attorney's Office, provides the following services, both in English and Spanish:
- In cases where an arrest is made, make contact with victims prior to the court date and answer any questions they may have about the court process.
- Provide outreach to victims of crime in cases where an arrest is not made (robbery, burglary, felonious assault, abduction, homicide, grand larceny auto, stalking, car jacking, etc.)
- Insure that victims have a voice throughout the criminal justice process.
- Make referrals to social service agencies that provide emergency financial, medical or psychological assistance to crime victims.
- Provide information about and assist victims with filing for the Criminal Injuries Compensation Fund.
- Arrange pre-trial meetings between the prosecutor and victim and provide a tour of the courtroom
- Provide the victim and family members with court accompaniment the day of the hearing
- Provide victims with victim impact statements and assist them with filling out the statements, when requested
- Send victims a letter telling them of the sentence and providing them with parole input or dept. of corrections notification forms
- Assist victims with getting property returned which is being held as evidence
- Assist victims with collection of overdue restitution
- Refer victims to area support groups
- Respond to the scene of a robbery at a business to provide crisis intervention and incident debriefing to the business' employees
**If you have been the victim of a crime in Alexandria, please call the Victim-Witness Assistance Program, (703-746-4100) Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m to 5:00 p.m. for assistance.