May 9, 2008
Major Traffic Shift on Outer Loop Beltway Lanes in Virginia
Near the Woodrow Wilson Bridge This Weekend (5/9)
Beltway Reduced to One Lane during Weekend;
Springfield Interchange Ramp from I-95 North to I-495 East (Outer Loop) to Close Temporarily
Motorists traveling near the Woodrow Wilson Bridge should prepare for a new traffic pattern on I-95 North/I-495 East (the Capital Beltway’s Outer Loop) in Virginia, beginning this weekend (May 9). All lanes on the Outer Loop will be shifted to a new alignment from west of the Route 1 Interchange to the Wilson Bridge. This traffic shift is necessary to allow continued progress on new Beltway lanes that ultimately will separate local and long-distance travelers. As with all major roadway work, this work is weather dependent and would be rescheduled in the event of inclement weather.
To complete this Beltway shift, crews must lay 3000 tons of asphalt to pave connections to and from the
existing Beltway alignment to the new alignment. Throughout this weekend, motorists should expect significant traffic impacts including the Outer Loop being reduced to one lane and the temporary closing of the Springfield Interchange ramp from I-95 North to I-495 East (Outer Loop). Specific details are as follows:
Beginning Friday at 9:00 p.m.:
- I-95/I-495 North/Beltway Outer Loop will be reduced to one lane.
- All four ramps at Route 1 to and from the Outer Loop will be closed and traffic will be detoured.
- Ramp from Telegraph Road North to the Outer Loop will be closed and traffic will be detoured.
Early Saturday Morning:
- Springfield Interchange Ramp from I-95 North to the Beltway Outer Loop (I-95/I-495 East) will close temporarily to divert traffic from traveling through the affected area. All eastbound traffic will be forced to travel on the Beltway’s Inner Loop (I-95/I-495 West) across the American Legion Bridge. Once traffic volumes lessen, the ramp will reopen.
- A second lane on the Outer Loop will reopen to traffic. The two open lanes will be shifted to the new Beltway alignment, which is located approximately 65 feet to the south of the existing alignment on the roadway that has served as the exit ramp from the Outer Loop to Route 1.
- All ramps at Route 1 to and from the Outer Loop, as well as from Telegraph Road North to the Outer Loop, will reopen.
- Once all paving and striping work is complete, the third lane on the Outer Loop will reopen to traffic on the new Beltway alignment. The Outer Loop Beltway shift will be complete, with all lanes in their new alignment.
To avoid the possibility of delays, motorists are urged to plan accordingly or stay away from the Wilson Bridge this weekend. Visit www.wilsonbridge.com for the latest information.