ACTion Alexandria Launches New Website to Encourage Citizen Engagement, Philanthropy
Initiative Represents Partnership Between City of Alexandria and ACT, Alexandria’s Community Foundation
ACTion Alexandria, a new citizen engagement website, provides interactive tools that make it easier for residents to take a more active role in community problem-solving. Like other new citizen philanthropy websites, ACTion Alexandria will connect individuals to nonprofit organizations they want to support, but with a strictly local focus.
The initiative, launched by ACT for Alexandria, Alexandria’s community foundation, in partnership with the City of Alexandria, provides visitors with opportunities for local action on behalf of nonprofit organizations working to improve the community.
- Weekly featured actions to benefit local nonprofits
- Citywide challenges that call for citizen solutions to local issues
- Action and event posting by nonprofit organizations and citizens
- Customizable profiles for nonprofit organizations and citizens
- Residents will be able to “Speak Up and Take ACTion,” in a citywide effort to gather resident feedback about quality of life issues that matter most. This “quality of life Indicators” project is sponsored by The Partnership for a Healthier Alexandria, ACT for Alexandria, and Virginia Tech.
- For its first Featured Action, ACTion Alexandria is working with Carpenter’s Shelter to fund one month of after school snacks for children living at the local homeless shelter.
ACTion Alexandria is an online civic engagement initiative to promote grassroots philanthropy by connecting neighbors and local nonprofit organizations to solve problems in Alexandria, Virginia. For more information about ACTion Alexandria and how you can support the pressing needs of the nonprofit community in Alexandria, contact Tracy Viselli, Community Manager, at 703.739.7778 or visit www.actionalexandria.org.