September 24, 2009
2009 Vehicle Personal Property Taxes Due October 5
- 2009 Vehicle Personal Property Tax payments due October 5, 2009.
- Payment in full must be received or postmarked by October 5 to avoid penalties and interest.
- Enhanced hours are available until 6:30 p.m. on September 29 and October 1, 2009 to pay in person.
- If you have not received a bill, please contact the Finance Department immediately.
The City of Alexandria reminds taxpayers that the 2009 Vehicle Personal Property Tax is due October 5, 2009, from all vehicle owners who lived in the City for all or part of calendar year 2009. Payment in full must be received or postmarked by October 5 to avoid penalties and interest.
The Finance Department urges Alexandria taxpayers to pay their personal property taxes by mail or online to avoid waiting in line. The City offers several convenient methods for paying the personal property tax:
- Pay by mail using the envelope enclosed with your bill, or mail payment to the Treasurer’s Office, P.O. Box 34710, Alexandria, VA 22334-0710. Please make checks or money orders payable to the City of Alexandria. Also, please be sure to include the bill you are paying and write your account number in the memo field on your check or money order. Returned checks are subject to a $35 fee in accordance with state law. Please do not mail payments to any other address.
- Pay by eCheck online to have the payment electronically deducted from a specified checking or savings account. There is no fee for using this service, which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To pay by eCheck, visit www.alexandriava.gov/Payments.
- Pay by Credit Card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, by calling 1.800.272.9829, or going to www.alexandriava.gov/Payments.You may also pay by credit card online at the kiosk in City Hall, Room 1700, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Official Payments Corporation will assess a fee for using this service. The City’s jurisdiction code is 1007.
- Pay at any SunTrust Bank branch located in the City. SunTrust Bank will accept payment of the total amount printed on the personal property tax bill until 5 p.m. on October 5, 2009.
- Pay in person at the Treasury Division, City Hall, 301 King St., Room 1510, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Enhanced hours are available until 6:30 p.m. on September 29 and October 1, 2009 to pay in person. Tax bills may be paid in person by cash, check, money order, or Discover Card. Discover will assess a fee for using this service.
- A drop box located on the Royal Street side of City Hall is also available 24 hours a day. Payment must be in the drop box by midnight on October 5, 2009, to avoid late payment penalty. Please be sure to include the bill you are paying and write your account number in the memo field on your check. Returned checks are subject to a $35 fee in accordance with state law. For your protection, please do not leave cash.
Late payment penalties, administrative fees, and interest will be assessed on all personal property tax accounts that are not paid by the due date. The late payment penalty is ten percent of the net tax and late filing penalty or $10, whichever is greater. The administrative fee, which is assessed on each account to cover the cost of collections, is $45 for delinquent balances $50 or greater and $20 for balances between $20 and $49.99. Interest accrues at an annual rate of ten percent for the first year and five percent for each year thereafter, beginning October 6, 2009, and continuing until all taxes and penalties are paid.
If you have not received a personal property tax bill, please contact Personal Property Tax at email@example.com or call 703.746.3901. You may also contact the City’s Treasury Division at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703.746.3902. Taxpayers who have had a change of address and have not previously reported this change to the City should contact Personal Property Tax so that a bill can be provided for them prior to the October 5 due date.
For more information on personal property tax, please visit www.alexandriava.gov/Cartax.
Si necesita ayuda en Español, por favor llame al 703.746.3907.