City of Alexandria to Host Community Parking Forum on May 27
The Department of Transportation & Environmental Services invites residents to attend a Community Parking Forum on Wednesday, May 27 from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. at George Washington Masonic Memorial, Memorial Theater 101 Callahan Drive.
The Community Parking Forum will feature guest speaker Dr. Donald Shoup, who has extensively studied parking as a key link between transportation, land use, economic challenges, and the environment. Dr. Shoup will focus on the cost of parking and parking habits throughout the City of Alexandria. Dr. Shoup is well-known for his creative style of thinking, which is often referenced as cutting-edge and “outside of the box”.
The Community Forum will feature:
- Innovative remedies to balance parking needs.
- Inform residents about why decisions about parking are vital to the future of our communities?
- Discuss how the City and surrounding communities can work together to address complex parking issues.
- Explain how free parking has additional costs: such as it distorts transportation choices, warps urban form, and degrades the environment.
- A resident question and answer session, which will highlight the application of how Dr. Shoup’s theories could manage parking concerns throughout the City.
For more information, visit www.alexandriava.gov/LocalMotion or contact Calvin Abram, Department of Transportation Environmental Services, at 703.838.4411.