FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: February 27, 2009
Spring Session of the Citizens Academy Applications Currently Being Accepted
The Office of Citizen Assistance is currently accepting applications for the 20 available spots in the upcoming spring session of the Citizens Academy. The two-hour sessions will be held every Thursday night from April 16 to June 4 at various locations around the City, including City Hall.
The sessions will provide an opportunity for residents to learn about the City of Alexandria’s government through first-hand experience and gain exposure to the wide range of government functions, services, activities and issues. The sessions are open to all City residents over the age of 18, as well as City business owners.
Each session will begin at 7 p.m. and end at 9 p.m.; refreshments will be provided beginning at 6:30 p.m. The topics of each session are as follows:
- April 16: Getting to Know Your City Government
- April 23: Community Development
- April 30: Transportation and Environmental Services
- May 7: Leisure and Cultural Activities
- May 14: Finances and Support Services
- May 21: Public Safety and the Criminal Justice System (Police)
- May 28: Public Safety and the Criminal Justice System (Fire)
- June 4: Health and Human Services
To find the application, visit http://alexandriava.gov/citizen/info/default.aspx?id=15508. The application deadline is Friday, March 27. For more information, contact the Office of Citizen’s Assistance at 703.838.4800.
Individuals with disabilities who require assistance or special arrangements to participate in the meetings listed above should contact Rose Boyd at 703.838.4800 or TTY 703.838.5056. Please provide a five-day notice so that the proper arrangements can be made.