Don't let a long commute put your right to vote at risk. You may be eligible to vote by absentee ballot!
Virginia Law allows voters to absentee vote if they are "working and commuting to/from home for 11 or more hours between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. on Election Day."
DO THE MATH!
Work Day = 8 hours
Lunch = 1 hour
Commute = 2 hours
TOTAL = 11 hours
Is your total commute to and from work less than 2 hours some days, but more on other days?
Don't take a gamble...
Don't let traffic jams, metro service disruptions, or bad weather cost you your most precious right!
For more details, call 703.746.4050.
Virginia's New Photo ID Requirements
Virginia voters must now show photo identification prior to voting. For more information, including a list of acceptable IDs, please see Virginia's Department of Elections website.
Don't have photo ID? You may apply for a FREE photo ID at our office any time we are open. We are located at 132 North Royal Street, Suite 100. Our hours are Monday - Friday from 8am to 5pm. This ID is valid for voting purposes only. Beginning October 25, you may also get a free photo ID at Beatley Library during the hours we are open there for absentee voting (see below).
When you get to our office (1) you will fill out a short application, (2) we will take your picture and get your signature, and (3) you will receive your voter identification card in the mail within two weeks. If you need to update your name or address, you may do that at the same time you come in for your ID.
November 4, 2014 General Election
On Tuesday, November 4 there will be a General Election for U.S. Senate and U.S. House of Representatives as well as a Proposed Amendment to the Virginia Constitution.
- The voter registration deadline for this election is Tuesday, October 14. You can submit a voter registration application online through Virginia's Department of Elections website. You can also view and update your voter information at this site. If you would like to submit a paper registration application, you can use the form on our Voter Registration Information and Application page.
- Absentee voting began on Friday, September 19. For more information, including applications, go to our Absentee Voting page.
- Beatley Library opens for absentee voting on Saturday, October 25. For hours, go to our Absentee Voting page.
- To check your registration status, absentee ballot status, or voting location, go to Am I Registered and Where Do I Vote?
- The Sample Ballot is posted here.
- The background explanation for the Proposed Amendment to the Virginia Constitution is posted here.
- Guidelines for News Media During Elections
- Special Notice for Military and Overseas Voters
Online Voter Registration Applications
You may submit a voter registration application online through Virginia's Department of Elections website. You may also view and update your voter information at this site. If you would like to submit a paper registration application, you can use the form on our Voter Registration Information and Application page.
More About Elections & Voting in Alexandria
Voting in Alexandria
Alexandria's eScan Voting System
Absentee Voting Information
Election Results and Recent History
Other Election Links
Alexandria Electoral Board
Donald E. Ledwig, Secretary and Senior Member
Susan B. Kellom, Chair
Bruce A. Brown, Vice Chairman
Eric Spicer, Elections Administrator
Registrar of Voters
For voter registration and absentee inquiries - Please include full name, current address, and date of birth.
132 North Royal Street, Suite 100
Alexandria, Virginia 22314