City of Alexandria, VA
Parking Study Information
Old Town Area Parking Study
The City recently completed a study of an 85-block area of Old Town to document existing, on- and off-street public parking, assess utilization and develop recommendations for parking management strategies.
- The reconvened Old Town Area Parking Study (OTAPS) Work Group completed their meeting schedule and topic discussions on October 16, 2012. The final report that summarizes the Work Group's efforts and final recommendations is available here.
- The Old Town Area Parking Study (OTAPS) Work Group reconvened to continue reviewing and making recommendations on parking management in the Old Town area. On the OTAPS agenda is a review of the Residential Parking Permit Program (RPPP), valet parking, strategies identified by the Waterfront Small Area Plan and other parking technology recommendations. All 2012 meetings are scheduled to meet in City Hall from 5:30 - 7:30 pm on June 18, July 17, July 31, August 14, August 28, September 11 and one additional meeting on October 16, 2012 in City Council's Workroom to summarize the Work Group's recommendations. All meetings are open to the public.
- Staff presented the Final Recommendations of the Old Town Area Parking Study Work Group to City Council during a Council Work Session on October 12, 2010. View the staff presentation here.
- At the September 14, 2010 City Council legislative meeting, Council approved the allocation of funds to replace the existing single head meters in the Old Town area with multispace meters. This was one of the recommendations of the Old Town Area Parking Study Work Group. These meters will allow the use of credit cards in addition to coins to pay parking meter fees. The staff presentation includes information on multispace meters, costs and revenues, and installation timelines.
- The Old Town Area Parking Study Work Group completed their meeting schedule and topic discussions on August 31st. The final chart of recommendations is available for viewing here. Final recommendations are found in the bolded text. A final report is being drafted to summarize the Work Group's efforts and final recommendations.
Old Town Area Parking Study Work Group
The Old Town Area Parking Study Work Group is a City Manager appointed stakeholder group, which was established to discuss key findings and recommendations from the recently conducted Old Town Area Parking Study and to advise staff. The Work Group will be discussing implementation of specific recommendations as directed by City Council. The meetings are open to the public and will occur throughout the summer. A report summarizing the undertakings of the Work Group will be presented to Council in September.
Meeting Schedule and Topics
|Tuesday, October 16, 2012||5:30 - 7:30 pm||City Hall, Room 2410||Summarize OTAPS Work Group's Recommendations to City Council|
|Tuesday, Sept 11, 2012||5:30 - 7:00 pm||City Hall, Room 1101||Installing Meters in Unmetered Commerical Areas & Old Town Valet Program|
|Tuesday, August 28, 2012||5:30 - 7:30 pm||City Hall, Room 2000||Increase Parking Garages Utilization & Meters in Unmetered Commercial Areas|
|Tuesday, August 14, 2012||5:30 - 7:30 pm||City Hall, Room 2000||Pilot Permit Program for Handicapp Employees and Complete Discussions on RPPP|
|Tuesday, July 31, 2012||5:30 - 7:30 pm||City Hall, Room 2000||Residential Parking Permit Program (RPPP) & Recommend Solutions to Alleviate Old Town Parking Issues|
|Tuesday, July 17, 2012||5:30 - 7:30 pm||City Hall, Room 2000||Existing parking occupancy data in residential parking districts and Residential Parking Permit Program (RPPP)|
|Monday, June 18, 2012 ||5:00 - 7:00 pm||City Hall, Room 2000||Purpose of OTAPS, Update on Recommendations, Draft Meeting Schedule and Work Program |
|Tuesday, August 31, 2010||5:00 - 7:00 pm||City Hall, Room 2000||Multispace meters, tiered parking rates, enforcement|
|Tuesday, August 17, 2010||5:00 - 7:00 pm||City Hall, Room 2000||Use of private garages, wayfinding, Water Concept Plan, valet parking|
|Tuesday, August 3, 3010||5:00 - 7:00 pm||City Hall, Room 2410||Installation of new meters in commercial areas, "All May Park, All Must Pay" policy|
|Tuesday, July 20, 2010||5:00 - 7:00 pm||City Hall, Room 2000||Time limits in residential neighborhoods, meters in residential areas|
|Tuesday, July 6, 2010||5:00 - 7:00 pm||City Hall, Room 2000||Extending meter hours, reduction in allowable maximum time at meters|
|Tuesday, June 29, 2010||5:00 - 7:00pm||City Hall, Room 2000||Overview of Old Town Area Parking Study|
Work Group Members
- Rob Kaufman, Real Estate Developer - PMA Properties
- Charlie Banta - Alexandria Hotel Association
- Alexandria Restaurant Commission - Appointment Pending
- Nate Macek - Waterfront Commission
- Marsha Wright, Retailer - Old Town Pendleton Shop
- Mollie Danforth, Alexandria Commission on Persons with Disabilities
- Merrie Morris - Old Town Business & Professional Association
- Peter Pennington - Waterfront Commission
- Steve Tees, Old Town Business & Professional Association
- Mark Abramson, Leadership Inc., Citizen Representative
- John Hassett, U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- Mark S. Feldheim, Citizen Representative
- Andrew Blair, Parking Garage Owner/Operator - Colonial Parking
- Bert Ely, Old Town Civic Association
- John Gosling, Old Town Civic Association
- Heidi Ford, West Old Town Citizens Association
- Alexandria Chamber of Commerce - Appointment Pending
- Abi Lerner, Deputy Director of Transportation, Chair, City Staff
- Barbara Ross, Deputy Director of Planning & Zoning, City Staff
October 16, 2012
September 11, 2012
August 28, 2012
August 14, 2012
July 31, 2012
July 17, 2012
June 18, 2012
August 31, 2010
August 17, 2010
The work group discussed valet parking in the City, the parking implications of the proposed Waterfront Concept Plan, the proposed Wayfinding program, and the relationship of these subjects to the use of parking garages in the Old Town area. The group also discussed ways of improving the usage of parking garages and parking lots.
August 3, 2010
The work group discussed the addition of new meters in commercial blocks and implementation of the proposed policy to require payment of meter fees by disabled users, also known as the "All May Park, All Must Pay" policy.
July 20, 2010
The work group discussed the time limits for non-permit holders in residential permit parking zones and the installation of meters in residential permit parking zones for use by non-permit holders.
July 6, 2010
The work group discussed extending the hours of operation for parking meters and reducing the allowable maximum time at some of the existing metered spaces.
June 29, 2010
The work group received an overview of the Old Town Area Parking Study and reveiwed the purpose and goals of the appointed work group. The group also reviewed the short- and long-term recommendation topics scheduled to be addressed during the work group sessions.
Del Ray Parking Study
The City recently completed a study of a 30-block area of the Del Ray neighborhood to document existing on and off street public parking, assess utilization and ultimately develop strategies and implement measures to better manage parking within the area.
Staff will present the Final Recommendations of the Del Ray Parking Study to City Council during a Legislative Council Session on May 22, 2012.
Please contact Faye Dastgheib, Principal Parking Planner, at Faye.Dastgheib@alexandriava.gov or 703-746-4139 for more information on the Old Town Area Parking Study and the Del Ray Parking Study.