Re: Norfolk Southern Corp. Haul Route Permit

All:

Should we bring APD into the loop on this discussion, since they'll (presumably) be responsible for enforcing the conditions of the permit?

Just a thought...

Adam K. Thiel
Phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Fax: xxx-xxx-xxxx
E-mail: text converted to image to prevent junkmail harvesting

Rich Baier/Alex

"Jim Hartmann" <text converted to image to prevent junkmail harvesting>, Michele Evans
cc
Adam Thiel/Alex@Alex, Joan Wagner/Alex@Alex
Subject
Norfolk Southern Corp. Haul Route Permit

 Jim and Michele:

As discussed at the docket follow up meeting, the haul route permit is being prepared by my staff and will be sent to NSC after further discussion and direction.  NSC request is for 24/7/365 hauling.  This request will not be able to be granted as it is too open.  I have also reviewed the tape of the Ethanol presentation.  Del asked about the City's ability to control the use of the roadway and Ignacio responded.  In addition, they are requesting a permit to be issue with no end date.  This request will not be able to be granted as it is too open.  I have also reviewed the tape of the Ethanol presentation.  Del asked about the City's ability to control the use of the roadway and I have had staff research the Va paving SUP conditions---

1.        Va. Paving or sub contractor pulls City Hauling Permit when the construction site is with in City Limits (specific to the construction site delivery destination and pulled by sub -contractor).  There are no SUP conditions limiting the numbers of trucks to and from the site.

2.        Their unrestricted day time work hours of the plant itself are 5 am to 8 pm.

There are no restrictions within the SUP for trucks but there are numbers of days per year and tonnage restrictions.

There are pros and cons relating to the 100 trucks per week running with peak hour traffic on Van Dorn as well as pros and cons of having trucks on the NSC site.  As such, the City can (and should) restrict the time of use and the route but as I read the ordinance I  can also restrict the number of trucks as well so as "to promote traffic safety and to minimize disruption of an established residential .....area(s) within the City".(see section 5-2-27 (b)) ".  I recommend that we limit the number of trucks per day and the hours of operation.  Further, I will direct them through the permit condition to take a left turn from the site driveway on to Metro Rd., a right turn on to Eisenhower and a left on to Van Dorn as I proposed and was discussed last night at the Council meeting.  As Summers Grove is immediately adjacent to Metro Rd., the restriction of the number of trucks seems to be prudent especially since we have restricted the use of Jake brakes on the other side of Summers Grove due to excessive noise.

We should discuss this further and I will wait until we can discuss this matter prior to issuance of the permit.

Rich

Richard J. Baier, P.E.
Director
Transportation and Environmental Services