Re: PRIORITY--Ethanol facility

Chief,
Here's what we have as of our site visit today:

1)  The pump system was evaluated and is performing as designed.  It will automatically shut off in the event of a ground failure or overflow alarm activation;

2)  The grounding system was reported to have been tested initially when installed but there is no supporting paperwork.  The grounding system was supposed to be  tested again after the asphalt surface was poured but that did not occur.  We have requested a ground test ASAP.  This will occur on a Saturday when they are not operating and can move all the railcars out of the facility.  They will provide us a date for the test;

3)  The actual capacity of the containment area is not on site.  They have made a few phone calls and we hope to have the actual capacity this afternoon.  However, we did a crude field calculation and estimate the holding area to contain approximately 36,475 gallons of fuel.  A survey of each rail car show a variable capacity between 30,010 and 30,280 gallons based on make and model of railcar.  So if our math is close, the containment area will hold one full railcar load of fuel and a little extra.

I will pass on more info as we get it today.

Bob

Robert B. Rodriguez
Chief Fire Marshal
Alexandria Fire Department / Code Enforcement
301 King Street, Room 4200
Alexandria, Virginia 22314

Office  (703) 838-4360
Direct (703) 519-3300 ext. 118