Resource needs for the Ethanol station

  • To: Russell_Middleton/Alex%Alex
  • Subject: Resource needs for the Ethanol station
  • From: Michael_Farri/Alex%ALEX
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 21:02:13 -0500
  • Bcc:
After we talked this date in regards to the Ethanol Station that is in the works for the west side of town (Metro Road).  Since we are not the experts nor do we have the experience, I think the best way to approach this in regards to our possibly resource needs would be for us to contact Fairfax county and Fairfax City.  They seem to be the local experts in this field (tank farm ,fuel depot).  If possibly, we should look at their plans to see if it would fit our needs.  We could then build off of their ops plans to fit our situation, adjustments if necessary. Also by doing this, we would all be in the loop in regards to if we needed out side assistance in the event of an incident.  With the above being stated,  as the ops Chief,  would you make contact with your counter parts and line us up with their people and ask if we could get a copy of their ops plan.

Also I think we need to get the city leaders involved.  They need to be advised as to the inherited dangers that we are going to be responsible for.  They need to realize that the future site of a fire station would be built directly in the hot zone of this ethanol filling station,  along with the other potential residential units being at risk.  We must prepare them for the resources (foam, foam unit, foam holding tanks etc.) and cost of resources that it would take to control / abate if we were to have an incident at this location.

Last but not least, could we go to the federal Gov. to get our resource needs (Staffing, equipment, vehicles) just a thought.  I don't claim to know a lot about the above, but if we look at what we have in place as of now, we are definitely behind the eight ball.

Thanks

Michael Farri
Battalion Chief
Alexandria Fire Department