Re: Fire Dept. Quarterly Training/Ethanol

I spoke with the VDEM Hazmat Officer who is heavily involved with the EERC (Ethanol Emergency Response Coalition this evening. They are getting ready to come out with published instructional materials for class. Anything I could come up with that is of limited availability would not do the subject justice. Following the NOVA Flammable Liquids SOP and knowing that the the use of appropriate foam (AR-AFFF) is about the only issue that would be imparted in anything I could hastily throw together.

Glen also mentioned that he had previously spoken with BC North recently regarding his doing the training for department personnel. With all this in mind and with all the information getting ready to come out and be available to us, I do not see the point in running personnel through anything we could come up with at this time. Also it would be better to coincide this with looking at the facility on South Van Dorn Street.

So I will let you decide what you would like to do about this. Again, I will recommend that we wait and for now follow the SOPs we have and wait for much more current and available training information. Thanks and I will try to get hold of you tomorrow (Sunday). Classes have been scheduled for the shifts this week already.

Briant K. Atkins, Fire Captain
City of Alexandria Va Fire Department
Hazardous Materials Response Team
213 East Windsor Avenue