FW: Let's Blow Up the West End

  • To: <Mayor Euille>, <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>, <Rob Krupicka>, <Timothy Lovain>, <Del Pepper>, <Paul Smedberg>, <text converted to image to prevent junkmail harvesting>
  • Subject: FW: Let's Blow Up the West End
  • From: "Impastato, Arthur" <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 10:55:29 -0400
  • Cc: "Ingrid Sanden" <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>, "J Bennett" <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>, "Donna Fossum" <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>, <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>, <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>, <text converted to image to prevent junkmail harvesting>, <text converted to image to prevent junkmail harvesting>, "Geoffrey Goodale" <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>, <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>, <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>

Dear Mayor & City Council:

It has recently come to my attention that, with zero public input, the
City has seen fit to jeopardize the safety and well being of its
citizens by secretly conducting negotiations with Norfolk Southern to
allow them to conduct, according to the attached  May 15, 2008 memo from
Mr. Hartmann,  "operation of an ethanol transloading terminal at their
Van Dorn Intermodal Facility located behind the Waste to Energy plant."

Did any of you think to do a Google search or stop to think that ethanol
is a fuel and goes "boom" when ignited? If you had done a Google search,
you'd have found the attached article which discusses a derailment by
Norfolk Southern of ethanol-hauling tankers, the resulting hazardous
pollution spilled into water and the need for a massive evacuation of
residents. Do we want to have a similar headline in the Post? This
facility is near the Waste-to-Energy plant and not far from Virginia
Paving and the lovely waste oil recycling plant located on its grounds.
Can you imagine what would happen if spilled ethanol were to ignite near
these three facilities -- just do a Google search with the terms
"ethanol explosion" and you'll get a good idea.

I know that the Hartmann memo states that "[s]afety is of the utmost
concern to the City" and that "we are opposed to and have concerns about
this type of facility," but how did we end up where we have if that is
true? I am truly amazed that something like this could be done without
citizen input and I hope the City will explore every means of stopping
this proposal or, at a minimum, curtailing operations through creative
use of nuisance laws and by any other available means (e.g. getting VA
DEQ, EPA and Congressman Moran and Senators Webb and Warner involved and
enforcing or adopting stringent fire and safety regulations that would
make the proposal financially unattractive).

In short, this is obviously not something consistent with open
government, redevelopment of the West End and Landmark, reducing traffic
(particularly truck traffic) in the West End or public safety. I know
each and every one of you and know you can do better than this so lets
not cave in to Norfolk Southern and show some backbone like you have
when dealing with Mirant.

Respectfully submitted,

Arthur A. Impastato
239 Medlock Lane
Alexandria, Virginia 22304
xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx

This email and any attachments contain information from the law firm of Howrey LLP, which may be
confidential and/or privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity
named on this email. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of the contents of this email is prohibited. If you receive this email in error,
please notify us by reply email immediately so that we can arrange for the retrieval of the original
documents at no cost to you. We take steps to remove metadata in attachments sent by email, and any
remaining metadata should be presumed inadvertent and should not be viewed or used without our express
permission. If you receive an attachment containing metadata, please notify the sender immediately and a
replacement will be provided. Howrey LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in countries around
the world. It is registered in England and Wales under number OC311537 and regulated by the Solicitors
Regulation Authority (http://www.sra.org.uk/code-of-conduct.page). A list of members is available for
inspection at its registered office: 22 Tudor Street, London EC4Y 0AY. A list of firm attorneys and
jurisdictions where they are authorized to practice and/or are registered can be obtained by contacting
xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx.

Title: Daily Update: DEP Issues Violation Notice to Norfolk Southern for Beaver County Train Derailment
Pennsylvania Logo
PA Department of Environmental Protection Daily Update
Edward G. Rendell, Governor :: Kathleen A. McGinty, Secretary
Skip to main content

Update Links
DEP News Releases
Daily Press Clips
Calendar of Events
PA Bulletin
Comment Deadlines:
  - Proposals
  - Tech Guidance
Sign Up for e-Notice
Submit News
Subscribe
Archived Articles
2008 by Week
2007 by Week
2006 by Week
2006/05 by Subject
Prior to 2005
News By Region

xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx" uuid="A34ADEC9-7F83-4673-AC60-A099772C6FA1">

Click to email this page   Print This Page

DEP Issues Violation Notice to Norfolk Southern for Beaver County Train Derailment

PITTSBURGH (Oct. 26) -- The Department of Environmental Protection today issued a notice of violation to Norfolk Southern for spills related to a fiery 23-car train derailment that scattered ethanol-hauling tankers into the Beaver River and along its banks last week in New Brighton, Beaver County.

“While the company responded promptly to mitigate the effects of the derailment, the discharge of ethanol into the river is a violation of the Pennsylvania Clean Streams Law,” DEP Southwest Regional Director Ken Bowman said. “The company is on notice and must continue the cleanup of the material from the riverbanks and Big Rock Park area.”

A notice of violation is a formal decree that informs the company that its actions violated certain state environmental regulations. It is not a penalty assessment.

The accident resulted in the evacuation of some 150 residents in New Brighton and Beaver Falls as tanker cars burned over the entire weekend. The derailment occurred late Friday night, and the evacuation notice was lifted at noon Monday.

All of the damaged cars have been removed from the track, which has reopened, and hauled from the river. They are being stored and processed in New Brighton’s Big Rock Park. Norfolk Southern is inspecting all of the tankers to ensure each is empty before dismantling the cars for transport and disposal.

Throughout the accident response, DEP staff took several water samples of the Beaver River and collected samples near the intakes for the Midland Water Authority as well as inside its water treatment plant.

Preliminary sample results show evidence of ethanol and its additives in the Beaver River within 500 yards downstream of the spill site on the New Brighton side of the river. Samples results confirmed no problems with the area’s water supplies.

Norfolk Southern is conducting an environmental assessment to determine the scope and extent of soil and groundwater contamination at the crash site and any required cleanup. Work continues on the collection of ethanol seeps from the bridge abutment area of the crash site.

Various agencies responded to the accident, including DEP, the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency, Pennsylvania State Police and the state Department of Transportation. Members of the Civil Air Patrol, which was on a training exercise in Westmoreland County, conducted overflights of the scene to provide photos and aid in site assessment.

For more information, visit DEP’s Web site at www.depweb.state.pa.us.

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Department of Environmental Protection
DEP Press Office Contact: Susan Rickens, Editor
P.O. Box 2063, Harrisburg, PA 17105-2063
xxx-xxx-xxxx
All Rights Reserved