Fw: Haul Permit

  • To: "Jim Hartmann" <text converted to image to prevent junkmail harvesting>; Michele Evans; Mark Jinks
  • Subject: Fw: Haul Permit
  • From: Rich Baier/Alex
  • Date: 28 May 2008 16:53:46
  • Bcc:
  • Cc: Adam Thiel

I just finished speaking with IP and he agrees that we can reasonably regulate the number of trucks given that the one side of the street is residentially zoned.  As such, I propose that we limit the trucks to the hours of 7 am to 7pm (one hour later than the regulated and normal construction time of 7 am to 6 pm), regulate the route as set forth in my prior email, and cap the trucks at a maximum of 20 per day (which was the max. witnessed on site to date).....

Richard J. Baier, P.E.
Director
Transportation and Environmental Services

----- Forwarded by Rich Baier/Alex on 05/28/2008 04:18 PM -----
Ignacio Pessoa/Alex

Mayor Euille, Mayor Euille, Paul Smedberg
cc
Mayor Euille, Mayor Euille, Del Pepper, Ludwig Gaines, Ludwig Gaines, Rob Krupicka, Paul Smedberg, Timothy Lovain, Justin Wilson/Alex@ALEX, Jim Hartmann/Alex@Alex, Michele Evans/Alex@Alex, Mark Jinks/Alex@Alex, Adam Thiel/Alex@Alex, Rich Baier/Alex@Alex, Tony Castrilli/Alex@Alex, text converted to image to prevent junkmail harvesting, Christopher Spera/Alex@Alex, George McAndrews/Alex@Alex, xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx, xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx, xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx, xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx, xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx, xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx
Subject
Re: Fwd: Haul PermitLink

Bill and Paul:

        While the City does have statutory authority to subject truck traffic to and from the site to a haul route permit, and while that authority, unlike our zoning authority, is not per se preempted by federal law, the City's authority cannot be exercised in a manner which would render the operation of the transloading facility infeasible.  Under federal law, City safety codes and ordinances are not preempted, so long as such codes regulate the manner in which the use is conducted, are reasonably objective in the standards imposed, are not applied in a discriminatory fashion, and will not have the effect of unreasonably preventing the conduct of the use.

        Put differently, we cannot use the haul route permit to accomplish indirectly what we cannot accomplish directly through our zoning authority.  In addition, there has been no instance in the past 20+ years in which a haul route permit has been refused by the City so as to render the associated activity in the City infeasible.  Thus, any such attempt here would discriminate against this use, and would be invalid on that basis alone.  Once the issues germane to determining the safest haul route have been resolved by the City, the City will have no proper alternative other than to issue the permit.

        As I discussed with Council with respect to the contracting issue, the identity of the direct employer of the personnel who conduct the day-to-day transloading operations is not determinative of the preemption question.  Rather, the dispositive question is whether those individuals are engaged in the common carrier business of the railroad, albeit under contract between the railroad and another firm, or are engaged in the other firm's fuel distribution business, located by practical necessity on railroad property.  Based on the record and information available to the City in this case, it would appear that this operation is part of the Norfolk Southern Railway Company's common carrier business.  Thus my conclusion that preemption applies.

        However, as directed last night by the Council, I will shortly be suggesting that the City pursue a process to further discover and develop the facts of this case, and secure a definitive determination of the preemption question.  In addition, the City Manager's Office has sought to enlist the aid of our congressional delegation, to redress the egregious circumstance in which such a facility could be located without meaningful governmental review inside the Capital Beltway.

        Please let me know if you have any additional questions at this time.

Ignacio

Paul Smedberg

Fwd: Haul Permit

Ignacio,
Please add my name to this request from the Mayor.  Please see my e-mail message below to the original recipients.
Thanks,
Paul