Re: hi

  • To: "Ingrid Sanden" <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>
  • Subject: Re: hi
  • From: Faroll Hamer/Alex
  • Date: 18 May 2008 22:37:52
  • Bcc:
  • Cc:

Hi, Ingrid, I have seen the info about the ethanol unloading -- the City tried to stop it, but there was a court ruling ealier this year that completely took away our control -- the court case wasn't a response to what's happening in Alexandria, it was a response to something that happened in another state but it was at the federal level and so applies to us.  I will try to address it tomorrow night -- I know people are upset about it, but I don't think it will change anything for the Landmark plan.

In a way it reinforces the idea that the industrial uses around the metro station are not ready for redevelopment --and may not be ripe until the redevelopment of the more northern parts of Landmark and Van Dorn are well underway.  I'm not so pessimistic -- redevelopment happens by fits and starts, it's not a smooth sequential process. I know the Cameron Station folk are impatient, and I don't blame you.  But   I don't think the ethanol transloading will have any impact on redevelopment at and around the mall, do you?  Also, I have an idea for bringing some environmental, water quality and stream restoration issues into the plan that may be helpful in looking at the industrial areas in a new light.

We're going to talk about affordable housing tomorrow night --we don't have any recommendations, just information at this point, but I will be very interested to hear the groups' comments.  See you tomorrow,
Faroll

PS -- ethanol -- can that possibly be our energy future?  I'm very skeptical.

"Ingrid Sanden" <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>

Re: hi

Hi Faroll:

Sorry I didn't respond till now - busy week, and the next few are just going to be awful. However, I did forward your note on to a couple people (so good call on keeping it short and sweet), and there will definitely be issues, as I'm sure you imagined. We're really feeling put-upon right now here in Cameron Station, as there are some other issues that have come to the surface (of course, during the busiest month of the year for me), that are very serious for us, and for (I think) the whole Landmark small area plan process.

Maybe you already know, but there is this new Norfolk Southern ethanol unloading/transport spot right behind our houses on those railroad tracks. There are seriously like 40 tankers lined up back there, full of ethanol with pretty much no security that I can see. Seems like it could be an issue, and at the very least, it's ugly as sin. So that's my newest battle. I have no idea what is going on...

So anyway, I will see you tomorrow night. I'm just extremely unhappy right now with various things. It seems like we're really gaining momentum re: Landmark/Van Dorn, and now all these other hurdles are tossed in our way (at the beginning of summer - and the timing is not lost on me). Ugh. I just don't think I have any fight left in me for some of these things...

If you need more info about the railroad stuff and haven't seen it yourself, let me know and I can forward you what I have.

Ingrid