Fw: Norfolk Southern Corporation Ethanol Transloading Facility in Alexandria

  • To: xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx
  • Subject: Fw: Norfolk Southern Corporation Ethanol Transloading Facility in Alexandria
  • From: Michele Evans/Alex
  • Date: 15 May 2008 17:26:34
  • Bcc:
  • Cc: Bernard Caton

Hi Tim,

Since Bernie Caton is out of town for a week I wanted to give you and Jim a heads up about a memo (attached) that we have sent out to City Council today and will be sharing with the community.   It relates to an ethanol transloading facility that Norfolk Southern has opened on their property in the west end.

The City Attorney has told us that the federal  Surface Transportation Board recently issued a decision that preempts local zoning laws that would regulate or prohibit such railroad transloading operations.   With this in mind, I expect that you might be hearing from West End residents about the federal preemption and why the City is not permitted to regulate such facilities.

If you have any questions, please give me a call at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Thanks
Michele Evans
Deputy City Manager
----- Forwarded by Michele Evans/Alex on 05/15/2008 05:13 PM -----
Valerie Brown/Alex

Rich Baier/Alex@Alex, Tony Castrilli/Alex@Alex, John Catlett/Alex@Alex, Michele Evans/Alex@Alex, Faroll Hamer/Alex@ALEX, Mark Jinks/Alex@Alex, Steve Mason/Alex@Alex, Ignacio Pessoa/Alex@Alex, Adam Thiel/Alex@Alex, xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx, xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx, xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx, xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx, xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx
cc
Jim Hartmann/Alex@Alex
Subject
Norfolk Southern Corporation Ethanol Transloading Facility

The following is from Alexandria City Manager Jim Hartmann:

Val Moore Brown
Supervisory Administrative Officer
City Manager's Office
City of Alexandria, VA

www.laf.org
Knowledge is power and attitude is everything.