Re: Fw: Ten rail tank cars now at the Norfolk Southern facility

  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Fw: Ten rail tank cars now at the Norfolk Southern facility
  • From: Adam Thiel/Alex
  • Date: 04 Apr 2008 14:31:25
  • Bcc:
  • Cc: Jim Hartmann; Michele Evans; Ignacio Pessoa; John Catlett; Robert Rodriguez

I generally understand the political/legal sensitivities/implications associated with this change-of-use at the Norfolk Southern Intermodal Ramp.

That said, we are now "way behind" in terms of our preparation/readiness for an emergency event involving bulk quantities of ethanol. Our needs go far beyond site familiarization and training on the transloading process. We do not have the equipment or supplies to handle a fire at this site; and neither do our regional partners. (I.e., we can't just call for mutual-aid and get what we need.)

There's a lot we need to do at this point...recommend we get a meeting of the principals together ASAP.

Also, we need to notify our Operations folks, VDEM, and FFX/ARL counties without delay.

Adam K. Thiel
Phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Fax: xxx-xxx-xxxx
E-mail: text converted to image to prevent junkmail harvesting

John Catlett/Alex

Michele Evans@Alex@Alex, Ignacio Pessoa
cc
Adam Thiel/Alex@Alex
Subject
Fw: Ten rail tank cars now at the Norfolk Southern facility

FYI

It appears this will be in operation within the next couple of days.  If this starts operations, we really do need the training and overview for our staff and fire operation staff.

John D. Catlett, MCP
Code Enforcement Director
Alexandria Fire Department
301 King Street, Room 4200
Alexandria, Virginia  22314

Office: xxx-xxx-xxxx, Ext. 110
Fax: xxx-xxx-xxxx

"Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great."
John D. Rockefeller

----- Forwarded by John Catlett/Alex on 04/04/2008 01:57 PM -----
Robert Rodriguez/Alex

John Catlett/Alex@Alex, Adam Thiel/Alex@Alex, Ignacio Pessoa/Alex@Alex, Richard Josephson/Alex@ALEX
Ten rail tank cars now at the Norfolk Southern facility

All -

I have just driven by the Norfolk Southern yard and there are ten brand new tank cars located on the siding inside the perimeter fence.  We also just received another phone requesting to place keys in the Knox Box at the facility and meet with on site staff to go over the plant / process.

Please advise if we need to take any further action.

Thanks,
Bob

Robert B. Rodriguez
Chief Fire Marshal
Alexandria Fire Department / Code Enforcement
301 King Street, Room 4200
Alexandria, Virginia 22314

Office  xxx-xxx-xxxx
Direct xxx-xxx-xxxx ext. 118