Re: Ethanol trans-loading facility at Norfolk Southern intermodal ramp in Alexandria

  • To: Michele Evans
  • Subject: Re: Ethanol trans-loading facility at Norfolk Southern intermodal ramp in Alexandria
  • From: Adam Thiel/Alex
  • Date: 02 Jan 2008 17:24:51
  • Bcc:
  • Cc: Faroll Hamer; Ignacio Pessoa; Jim xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx; John Catlett; Mark Jinks

I completely agree!

Adam K. Thiel
Phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Fax: xxx-xxx-xxxx
E-mail: text converted to image to prevent junkmail harvesting

Michele Evans/Alex

John Catlett/Alex@Alex, Ignacio Pessoa/Alex@Alex, xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx
cc
Mark Jinks/Alex@Alex, Jim Hartmann@Alex, Faroll Hamer/Alex@ALEX
Subject
Re: Ethanol trans-loading facility at Norfolk Southern intermodal ramp in AlexandriaLink

John and Adam,

There was a top management level discussion on this with Norfolk Southern some time ago before either of you were here.  I think before you (the Fire Department/Code Enforcement) do anything further, we need to find out what is going on.   As we recall, there is a requirement for City approval in our view.  Please do not communicate with Norfolk Southern further until we have determined the status of this.

Ignacio, we probably need to find out what is going on.
Thanks
Michele

John Catlett/Alex

Robert Rodriguez@Alex, Michele Evans@Alex
cc
Adam Thiel/Alex@Alex
Subject
Re: Ethanol trans-loading facility at Norfolk Southern intermodal ramp in AlexandriaLink

Thanks Bob,

I remember us discussing doing this.

I'll pass on.

John D. Catlett, MCP
Code Enforcement Director
Alexandria Fire Department
301 King Street, Room 4200
Alexandria, Virginia  22314

Office: xxx-xxx-xxxx, Ext. 110
Fax: xxx-xxx-xxxx

"Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great."
John D. Rockefeller

Robert Rodriguez/Alex

John Catlett/Alex@Alex
cc
Adam Thiel/Alex@Alex
Subject
Re: Ethanol trans-loading facility at Norfolk Southern intermodal ramp in AlexandriaLink

John,

I forwarded all the information we had to Farrell to make her office aware.  When I sent the e-mail to Farrell I indicated this may be a citizen issue with Cameron Station.  I did not hear back from either Farrell or her staff on this matter.

According to City records, the property where this is occurring is railroad property.  As such they are not required to get permits from Code Enforcement.   We are working with the railroad in an advisory capacity to address hydrant installation / testing, fire extinguisher placement and tours of a similar facility in Baltimore for the Fire Operations staff.

Bob

Robert B. Rodriguez
Chief Fire Marshal
Alexandria Fire Department / Code Enforcement
301 King Street, Room 4200
Alexandria, Virginia 22314

Office  xxx-xxx-xxxx
Direct xxx-xxx-xxxx ext. 118
Fax     xxx-xxx-xxxx

John Catlett/Alex

Adam Thiel/Alex@Alex
cc
Mark Jinks/Alex@Alex, Michele Evans/Alex@Alex, Robert Rodriguez@Alex@Alex
Subject
Re: Ethanol trans-loading facility at Norfolk Southern intermodal ramp in AlexandriaLink

It is my understanding from Bob Rodriguez's previous emails that all of this is being conducted on railroad property.  I believe he indicated that there was no avenue for city review.  From my past dealing with railroads, I believe they are governed by federal regulations that exempt them from local authority.  I believe that Bob has confirmed this with PZ, but I'll ask him to confirm.

John D. Catlett, MCP
Code Enforcement Director
Alexandria Fire Department
301 King Street, Room 4200
Alexandria, Virginia  22314

Office: xxx-xxx-xxxx, Ext. 110
Fax: xxx-xxx-xxxx

"Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great."
John D. Rockefeller

Adam Thiel/Alex

Michele Evans/Alex@Alex
cc
John Catlett/Alex@Alex, Mark Jinks/Alex@Alex
Subject
Re: Ethanol trans-loading facility at Norfolk Southern intermodal ramp in AlexandriaLink

Great question!

We heard about it "through the grapevine" from some Fairfax County firefighters.

My impression is that this entire deal is somewhat "convoluted" right now.

John might have some additional insight...

Thanks for the quick follow-up!

xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx, John Catlett/Alex@Alex
cc
Mark Jinks/Alex@Alex
Subject
Re: Ethanol trans-loading facility at Norfolk Southern intermodal ramp in AlexandriaLink

Hi Adam and John,
Can either of you tell me how this is coming forward?  We had understood that City land use approval was required.  Has Norfolk Southern come in to request such approval?
Thanks
Michele

Adam Thiel/Alex

"Michele Evans" <text converted to image to prevent junkmail harvesting>
cc
Subject
Ethanol trans-loading facility at Norfolk Southern intermodal ramp in Alexandria

As we're following-up on subject, it appears we're going to have some meaningful challenges to address with respect to fire protection/hazmat preparedness.

Probably the subject of a meeting in the near future...our present understanding is this facility will open in April/May 2008.

Just FYI...