Re: Ethanol trans-loading facility at Norfolk Southern intermodal ramp in Alexandria

  • To: Adam Thiel
  • Subject: Re: Ethanol trans-loading facility at Norfolk Southern intermodal ramp in Alexandria
  • From: John Catlett/Alex
  • Date: 02 Jan 2008 16:17:26
  • Bcc:
  • Cc: Mark Jinks; Michele Evans; Robert xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx@Alex

It is my understanding from Bob Rodriguez's previous emails that all of this is being conducted on railroad property.  I believe he indicated that there was no avenue for city review.  From my past dealing with railroads, I believe they are governed by federal regulations that exempt them from local authority.  I believe that Bob has confirmed this with PZ, but I'll ask him to confirm.

John D. Catlett, MCP
Code Enforcement Director
Alexandria Fire Department
301 King Street, Room 4200
Alexandria, Virginia  22314

Office: xxx-xxx-xxxx, Ext. 110
Fax: xxx-xxx-xxxx

"Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great."
John D. Rockefeller

Adam Thiel/Alex

Michele Evans/Alex@Alex
cc
John Catlett/Alex@Alex, Mark Jinks/Alex@Alex
Subject
Re: Ethanol trans-loading facility at Norfolk Southern intermodal ramp in AlexandriaLink

Great question!

We heard about it "through the grapevine" from some Fairfax County firefighters.

My impression is that this entire deal is somewhat "convoluted" right now.

John might have some additional insight...

Thanks for the quick follow-up!

Adam K. Thiel
Phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Fax: xxx-xxx-xxxx
E-mail: text converted to image to prevent junkmail harvesting

Michele Evans/Alex

xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx, John Catlett/Alex@Alex
cc
Mark Jinks/Alex@Alex
Subject
Re: Ethanol trans-loading facility at Norfolk Southern intermodal ramp in AlexandriaLink

Hi Adam and John,
Can either of you tell me how this is coming forward?  We had understood that City land use approval was required.  Has Norfolk Southern come in to request such approval?
Thanks
Michele

Adam Thiel/Alex

"Michele Evans" <text converted to image to prevent junkmail harvesting>
cc
Subject
Ethanol trans-loading facility at Norfolk Southern intermodal ramp in Alexandria

As we're following-up on subject, it appears we're going to have some meaningful challenges to address with respect to fire protection/hazmat preparedness.

Probably the subject of a meeting in the near future...our present understanding is this facility will open in April/May 2008.

Just FYI...