E-mail Timeline

Re: Fw: Ten rail tank cars now at the Norfolk Southern facility

  • To: Adam Thiel
  • Subject: Re: Fw: Ten rail tank cars now at the Norfolk Southern facility
  • From: Jim Hartmann
  • Date: 04 Apr 2008 15:44:28
  • Bcc:
  • Cc: Ignacio Pessoa; John Catlett; Michele Evans; Robert Rodriguez

Ignacio, can we put some sort of legal pressure on this intensification of use?

Jim Hartmann
Alexandria City Manager
703-838-4300

Adam Thiel

Jim Hartmann, Michele Evans, Ignacio Pessoa, John Catlett, Robert Rodriguez
Subject
Re: Fw: Ten rail tank cars now at the Norfolk Southern facilityLink

I generally understand the political/legal sensitivities/implications associated with this change-of-use at the Norfolk Southern Intermodal Ramp.

That said, we are now "way behind" in terms of our preparation/readiness for an emergency event involving bulk quantities of ethanol. Our needs go far beyond site familiarization and training on the transloading process. We do not have the equipment or supplies to handle a fire at this site; and neither do our regional partners. (I.e., we can't just call for mutual-aid and get what we need.)

There's a lot we need to do at this point...recommend we get a meeting of the principals together ASAP.

Also, we need to notify our Operations folks, VDEM, and FFX/ARL counties without delay.

Adam K. Thiel
Phone: 703.838.4600
Fax: 703.548.6952
E-mail: adam.thiel@alexandriava.gov

John Catlett

Michele Evans@Alex@Alex, Ignacio Pessoa
cc
Adam Thiel
Subject
Fw: Ten rail tank cars now at the Norfolk Southern facility

FYI

It appears this will be in operation within the next couple of days.  If this starts operations, we really do need the training and overview for our staff and fire operation staff.

John D. Catlett, MCP
Code Enforcement Director
Alexandria Fire Department
301 King Street, Room 4200
Alexandria, Virginia  22314

Office: (703) 838-4644, Ext. 110
Fax: (703) 838-3880

"Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great."
John D. Rockefeller

----- Forwarded by John Catlett on 04/04/2008 01:57 PM -----
Robert Rodriguez

John Catlett, Adam Thiel, Ignacio Pessoa, Richard Josephson@ALEX
Ten rail tank cars now at the Norfolk Southern facility

All -

I have just driven by the Norfolk Southern yard and there are ten brand new tank cars located on the siding inside the perimeter fence.  We also just received another phone requesting to place keys in the Knox Box at the facility and meet with on site staff to go over the plant / process.

Please advise if we need to take any further action.

Thanks,
Bob

Robert B. Rodriguez
Chief Fire Marshal
Alexandria Fire Department / Code Enforcement
301 King Street, Room 4200
Alexandria, Virginia 22314

Office  (703) 838-4360
Direct (703) 519-3300 ext. 118