E-mail Timeline

Norfolk Southern Ethanol Rail to Truck Transfer Operation

  • To: Jill Applebaum
  • Subject: Norfolk Southern Ethanol Rail to Truck Transfer Operation
  • From: Richard Josephson
  • Date: 17 Jul 2006 17:59:23
  • Bcc:
  • Cc:

Jill,

Attached is information relative to the Ethanol rail to truck operation proposed for the UT zone for Ignacio. In addition, here are some of the details of the operation as described in a meeting last month:
  • the rail to truck transfer of ethanol would occur between 7 am and 6 pm, M-F
  • it would involve approximately 10 rail cars per day, which would translate into 40 truck loads of ethanol per day
  • once tranfered from rail to truck, the ethanol would be transported to a tank farm in Newington
  • the existing rail operation at this location accommodates approximately 200 trucks per day; this number will decrease once the ethanol, even with the ethanol transfer operation
  • Norfolk Southern would like to begin this operation within 90-120 days (from the date of the meeting in June, this would be sometime in September/October
  • in the discussion with reps from Norfolk Southern, they were advised that there would have to be outreach and information provided to neighbors concerning this operation

The Zoning Code allows rail switching yards by right and rail operations as a SUP. I wouldn't call this a rail switching yard. Norfolk Soutern maintains that since they are already there and operating (by right under the previous I-2 zone), they should be allowed to continue w/o a SUP, since this will not be an intensification of use. I do not know the history of what kind of material they have transferred from this location in the past, however, one could argue that transferring ethanol may be an intensification
Let me know what you all think?

Rich

Norfolk_Southern.tif