In May 2015 City Council passed a resolution to establish an Ad Hoc Fort Ward Park and Museum Area Management Plan Implementation Monitoring Group.
Fort Ward Park & Museum Area Management Plan
Fort Ward Park Implementation Monitoring Group Meeting Information
- March 30, 2016: Location TBD at 6:30 p.m.
- January 21, 2016: Beatley Library Meeting Room, 5005 Duke St. at 6:30 p.m.
- November 12, 2015: Minnie Howard Library/Media Center, 3801 W. Braddock Rd. at 6:30 a.m.
- September 9, 2015: Beatley Library Meeting Room, 5005 Duke St. at 6:30 p.m.
Management Plan Implementation Activity & Public Notice
- Stump Removal to begin Week of January 25, 2016 - January 14, 2016
Tree pruning and removal work began at the Park in late December. As this work continues, we will begin to grind the stumps left from these maintenance activities, as well as other stumps that remain from trees lost during previous snow and other severe weather events. Stump grinding activities will be governed by the Fort Ward Park and Museum Area Management Plan, which identifies areas where minimal ground disturbing activities, including stump grinding is permitted, and approved by the Office of Historic Alexandria. Where required, OHA archeological staff will be onsite to observe the stump grinding operations. Approximately one hundred stumps from current and previous tree removal operations have been identified. Stumps located in sensitive historical and archeological sites will be left in place. The work will proceed as weather and ground conditions permit.
- Tree Maintenance Work to begin in Fort Ward Park and Museum Area week of December 26 - December 15, 2015
The City of Alexandria will begin the seasonal tree maintenance in Fort Ward Park and Museum Area beginning the week of December 26, 2015 and will continue through January 2016 subject to the weather conditions. The work includes structural and deadwood pruning of fifty-two trees, removal of forty-two dead or diseased trees throughout the park and grinding of remaining tree stumps.
Ad Hoc Fort Ward Park and Museum Area Stakeholder Advisory Group Archive