Arts Grant Program
The arts grant program is designed to encourage artistic excellence in the City by assisting Alexandria-based arts organizations in providing opportunities for the community to engage with the arts and providing local artists with opportunities to create, perform, and present their works.
Each year, the Alexandria Commission for the Arts advises City Council on the allocation of approximately $180,000 in City funds designated for the arts in our community. The grants are awarded on the basis of a competative grant evaluation process and require a 1:1 cash match from the applicant.
For additional information, call the Office of the Arts at 703.746.5588.
The goals of the grant program are to:
- Encourage artistic excellence in the City of Alexandria;
- Ensure that Commission funded arts programs are accessible to all;
- Assist Alexandria based arts organizations in improving their financial, administrative and management capabilities;
- Provide individual artists with opportunities to create, perform and present their works;
- Support the development of knowledgeable audiences by encouraging projects and programs to make the arts experience more rewarding and significant for its citizens;
- Encourage arts organizations to undertake activities to increase earned income and to develop new sources of revenue to reduce the percentage of City funds as a portion of their income; and
- Provide significant impact on the citizens of Alexandria and on the visibility of the Alexandria arts community.
Fiscal Year 2015 Grant Timeline:
Monday, January 6, 2014: Applications go live
Wednesday, January 15, 12 noon: Individual Artists Grant Workshop, (Brown Bag Lunch), Torpedo Factory Arts Center, 105 N. Union Street
Thursday, January 23, 2014, 1:30 pm: Grant Workshop, Durant Arts Center, 1605 Cameron Street, Alexandria, VA
Thursday, February 6, 2014, 10 am: Grant Workshop Webinar (live)
Monday, February 10, 2014, 7:00 pm: Grant Workshop, Durant Arts Center, 1605 Cameron Street, Alexandria, VA
Monday, February 17, 2014, 1 pm: Grant Workshop Webinar (live)
Friday, February 28: Applications Due
March 3-7: Staff review for completeness
March 10 – April 4: Review Panels Meet
Tuesday, April 15: ACA review/recommend
May: Budget passes
July: Award letters sent
Congratulations to the 2013-2014 Grant Recipients: