Royal Street Bus Garage Ad hoc Advisory Committee
The Royal Street Bus Barn Ad hoc Advisory Committee will be a City Manager appointed group established to provide guidance to the City and the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) with regard to the redevelopment of the Royal Street Bus Barn site, specifically in the creation of redevelopment parameters and design standards for the site. Ultimately, the redevelopment parameters and design standards established through the Committee will be considered in the Request for Proposals (RFP) to be developed and issued by WMATA in consultation with the City.
The Committee will include appointed officials, adjacent residents, major property owners and representatives of civic, community and business organizations with an interest in the site.
1. Mary Lyman -
Planning Commission (Committe Chair)
2. Tom Soapes - North Old Town Independent Citizens’ Association (NOTICe)
3. Daniel Straub - Old Town North Urban Design Advisory Committee (UDAC)
4. Jim Doll - Chatham Square Homeowners Association
5. Steve Goodman - Garrett’s Mill Homeowners Association
6. Janet Powell - Portner’s Landing Homeowners Association
7. Richard Moncure - Portner's Landing Condominium Association
8. Charlie Cantelli - Alexandria House Homeowners Association
9. Patricia "Velator" Smith - Annie B Rose House (Tenant)
10. Roy Priest - Alexandria Redevelopment and Housing Authority (ARHA)
11. Cathy Puskar - Northern Virginia Building Industry Association
12. Ken Wire - Northern Virginia Building Industry Association (NVBIA)/NAOIP
13. Carolyn Merck - Old Town Civic Association (At-large member)
14. Nancy Appleby - At-large member
15. John Resende - At-large member
Staff Contact: Jessica McVary, Planning and Zoning, 703-746-3813
RSBG Advisory Committee Design Principles
Note: Weekday meetings will be held in the evening and Saturday meetings will be held in the morning, with specific time and location to be determined. This schedule is subject to change, but notice of changes will be provided well in advance. All meetings are open to the public.
Meeting 1 - Saturday, February 8
Discussed the site background, existing conditions. Staff conducted a tour of the site and surrounding community and the Committee began the discussion of design parameters and standards on three core areas: street character, open spaces/connections, and height/scale transitions. Watch the meeting video for the full presentation and discussion.
Meeting 2 - Wednesday, March 12: Begin to identify desired public benefits and design principles to be incorporated in the redevelopment parameters and design standards.
Meeting 3 - April 2, 2014 : Refine draft redevelopment parameters and design standards for presentation at larger community meeting in May.
Meeting 4 - Wednesday, April 30: Refine and finalized the draft redevelopment parameters and design standards in preparation for PC Worksession to be held on May 6, 2014.
May 6, 2014: Planning Commission Work Session (open to the public)